• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Civil War - British Patent 1853 Cavalry Trooper's Saber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought this sword off a neighbor about 55-years ago and hung it in my father's den for 35 of those years. When Dad passed it was relegated to a peg in the shed and, for the most part, there it has hung. Seeing as the only mark is the eagle stamp visible in the attached picture I incorrectly assumed, because of the Germanic style of the eagle,
it was a European sword. When I retired and had the time to give a new look at some of these accumulated items, I discovered the British origin of this particular sword. This model was imported and used by both the North and the South during the Civil War. As I'm to understand, on swords manufactured for export to the states, the maker's mark was not used. However, on some items, an exporter or inspector would stamp in his mark - in this case (possibly) an eagle. I would appreciate it, if any of you recognize the eagle, if you could forward your info. Thanks.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0106 P1853.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0106 P1853.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 110
Hi BMCS,

Here are the English Marks of which I am aware on the P1853 Enfield Cavalry Saber
Weyersburg (King's head)
Kirschbaum (knight's head)
JE Bleckman (bow and arrow)
Samuel Hoppe (beehive)
Robert Mole of Birmingham (MOLE) stamped on back of the blade

However in the crisis of the Crimea War period and later on to supply swords to both the U.S and C.S.; blades for this sword were imported from both Solingen (Germany) and Liege. I suspect the sword blade was made in one of those countries, though I don't know the marks to verify it.

Gus

Thank you, Gus, truly some great information. Hopefully, one of our members with P1853 inspector knowledge, might be able to add additional info. Also, as I nosed through a few off the wall searches, I came across the following web site - Kate Tattersall Adventures.

Again, thanks, Gus,

BMCS (Al)

Thank you, Gus, truly some great information. Hopefully, one of our members with P1853 inspector knowledge, might be able to add additional info. Also, as I nosed through a few off the wall searches, I came across the following web site - Kate Tattersall Adventures.

Again, thanks, Gus,

BMCS (Al)

Hi Al,

If someone doesn't have the specific answer, I suggest you look up Belgium and Solingen sword and gun marks of the period. I just have a feeling the blade on your sword was made in Liege, as it doesn't seem to be in line with most Solingen marks of which I'm aware.

I wound up buying a P 1853 Cavalry Sword in the early 1980's. At the time I was collecting 18th and 19th century cutlasses, so that buy was a bit of a fluke. I had purchased a couple books on Confederate Swords from an Antique Dealer west of Fredericksburg, VA and two months later I was back in his shop. Now I was not wealthy enough to purchase a real Confederate sword, but I was doing some research on Cutlasses imported by the Confederacy. I was particularly enamored with a British Enfield Cutlass and the one in the book had the MOLE mark on it from Robert Mole.

The Antique Dealer did not have anything I was interested in on that trip, but I thought I might look at the P1853 Cavalry Sword with no scabbard. In those days, no one was making copies of Civil War era swords, so most reenactors tried to find original swords and often something a bit later that was "close enough" in style to be used at reenactments. There was some interest in P1853 Cavalry swords, so I thought I might buy it if the price was right.

The leather grip was in pretty good condition, but I wanted to see the maker's mark and if there were any British Military Unit Markings, as swords so marked were less expensive than swords imported into either the U.S. or C.S. during the War and these were the ones Confederate Cavalry reenactors were looking for. To my surprise and delight, the blade was not marked on either side and the price was not bad at all at $ 175.00. However, I just happened to turn the blade so the light caught the "MOLE" stamped on the back (or top) of the blade. My heart almost stopped as swords by Robert Mole were imported for both the U.S. and C.S., as I had recently learned from the book I purchased in that shop two months before. Now there was no way to prove Confederate use, but at least it was more valuable than a more common British Unit marked P1853.

I normally looked for 18th and 19th century items in that shop, as the Antique Dealer concentrated on Civil War stuff and didn't really follow earlier period items. I was amazed he had missed the MOLE mark and especially since I purchased the book in his shop. Now this dealer was a bit shady and a bit mercenary on Civil War items and normally had very high prices for the tourist trade. So I was NOT going to mention the MOLE mark, as I would have with other military antique dealers I knew. He knew I didn't collect Cavalry Swords and wondered why I was slightly interested in the sword. I informed him I knew a few Cavalry reenactors who might want it. but since it did not have a scabbard, his price was a bit high. (In those days, you could still find a scabbard by looking around for a few months and for a reasonable price.) Anyway, after dickering with him for about an hour, I purchased it for $ 150.00 and could tell he thought he had gotten over on me a bit.

I took the sword with me to the Fall NSSA Nationals and showed it to a good friend/mentor who was one of premier bayonet collectors in the country at that time. He put me on to a couple Cavalry sword collectors he knew. One of them thought the grip was in really good condition and I waited silently for him to spot the MOLE mark. His eyes lit up when he did and said he was looking for a sword like that. I asked him what fair market value was on the sword and he said at least $350.00 and probably more like $ 400.00 or a little more. So I asked if he was interested in the sword for $ 300.00? He only thought about it for a few minutes and said, yes, he was and bought it. A couple days later he came by our booth and showed me a very nice scabbard he had purchased from another dealer, that matched the condition of the sword very well. He told me he was very pleased with the sword, but then asked why I had asked such a low reasonable price? I informed him my mentor the bayonet collector had schooled me on how gentlemen dealt with each other on period arms. He looked at my mentor, who was smiling and said, "Well, he taught you well. I now owe you a favor and that's good for any time in the future."

Gus

Greetings Gus, I've been off on other quests one of which was scouring the sword forum for P1853 info. My complication with that site is, that for whatever reason lies beyond my screen, I can't get authorization to post replies, etc. I did however decide to do a more in-depth search of my P1853 and look at areas I hadn't really focused on before. My first discovery was on the spine about 3/16's of an inch from the bottom of the basket: Crown (over) B (over) 13. Looking a little further down the spine, 5 7/8's inches from the basket, was the letter "P," better yet, improving the light and increasing magnification, I could see a "B" but no line going through it. However, it did balance perfectly. I've also looked at a goodly number of marks but have seen nothing that resembles the (Germanic (?)) (spread-wing) 3/16's inch eagle on the obverse ricasso. There's also a picture of it in the attachment with my original post. I also measured the blade and it's 35.5 inches in length. I've been hoping that my P1853 made it across the pond for the CW but it's looking like it didn't.

Stay healthy,

BMCS (Al)

Greetings Gus, I've been off on other quests one of which was scouring the sword forum for P1853 info. My complication with that site is, that for whatever reason lies beyond my screen, I can't get authorization to post replies, etc. I did however decide to do a more in-depth search of my P1853 and look at areas I hadn't really focused on before. My first discovery was on the spine about 3/16's of an inch from the bottom of the basket: Crown (over) B (over) 13. Looking a little further down the spine, 5 7/8's inches from the basket, was the letter "P," better yet, improving the light and increasing magnification, I could see a "B" but no line going through it. However, it did balance perfectly. I've also looked at a goodly number of marks but have seen nothing that resembles the (Germanic (?)) (spread-wing) 3/16's inch eagle on the obverse ricasso. There's also a picture of it in the attachment with my original post. I also measured the blade and it's 35.5 inches in length. I've been hoping that my P1853 made it across the pond for the CW but it's looking like it didn't.

Stay healthy,

BMCS (Al)

That's interesting! Don't take this as chiseled in stone, but it seems like it has a foreign (to the UK) blade and then assembled and inspected for British Service? Not unusual at all for British Military equipment during war time.

Gus

Back