• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Circassian Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. This is a Project that was completed a few months ago, and just now Posting. Specs:
Gun: Circassian Pistol, from the Norther/Western Caucasus, early to mid 1800's.
Lock: Typical Circassian miquelet style, with gold highlights. New lock internals and tuning by Roy Stroh. (Thank you Roy!).
Stock: Single piece of polished horn with ivory ball butt.
Barrel: NOW a .50 caliber smooth bore. New steel barrel liner by Bobby Hoyt. (Thank you Bob!).

When I originally purchased this gun it was missing the lock internals, the trigger, and the rear barrel band. Roy Stroh was able to make a new internal sear assembly, and the lock sparks real well now. Roy also made a new ball trigger and rear barrel band to match the other two barrel bands. The new band is virtually undetectable from the other two originals. Roy was able to do this from photos and physical samples I sent him to copy. Unbelievable! Again, thank you Roy!!

Anyway, here are a bunch of photos. The gun now has a new life and is in safe firing order. The last 6 photos include a Caucasian/Cossack gun belt. The Buckle is original mid-late 18th Century, .84 silver. The new adjustable leather belt is by T.C. Albert. Notice the pierced hole in the cone of the buckle. Wonder if it's just a coincidence that the tip of a Kindjel short sword just happens to fit perfectly in the hole? :hmm:
Hope you enjoy the photos. Thanks, Rick.

CaucasianPistol001Medium.jpg

CaucasianPistol003Medium.jpg

DSC00654Medium.jpg

DSC00658Medium.jpg

DSC00656Medium.jpg

CaucasianPistol002Medium.jpg

CaucasianPistol007Medium.jpg

DSC00660Medium.jpg

DSC00659Medium.jpg

DSC00657Medium.jpg

CaucasianPistol006Medium-1.jpg

CaucasianPistol005Medium-1.jpg

DSC00661Medium.jpg

DSC00662Medium.jpg

DSC00663Medium.jpg

DSC00664Medium.jpg

DSC00665Medium.jpg

DSC00668Medium.jpg

DSC00667Medium.jpg

DSC00666Medium.jpg

You just keep doing it....don't you have any
mercy???? Well,,,,If I can't do it I am sure
glad that you can...Great resourses. Thanks.

That repair was a good while back.. :haha: :thumbsup:

interesting how the frizzen face is fluted, wonder if that gets a higher spark of longer wear factor, really kool :thumbsup: n nice job, n all what appears to be inlay(?) is it brass, gold or painted on

I would guess it is to direct the sparks down
into the pan....I can't really say I notice a
difference...

Hi Roy. You know, come to think of it, it's probably been a year or more. Hmmmm, where's the time going? Again, thanks for the fixes. Rick.

Hi Birdman. I have several locks with grooved frizzens. I've never felt it offered any special advantage. There are a couple of therories why this was favored on locks used in this area of the world.
The gold colored decoration on the lock is just painted on, as all the others I've seen. It's not brass. It's a low grade gold fill. The proper name escapes me at the momment. But I can look it up if you like? Thanks again for your comments. Glad you liked the photos. Rick.

Back