• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chrono's and Ml's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powderhombre

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I had the Caldwell Chronograph set up about 10 feet in front of the muzzle. I sighted in a smokeless hunting rifle and the Chrono worked great. I switched over to the ML using real BP and the first two shots recorded no problem, then the readings got really screwy. 500 fps, 600 fps stuff like that one shot read 5 fps. I think the smoke was obscuring the sensor but I don't know. Is there a trick to it? I shot both patched round balls and conicles.

Like Phil said, just move it out a bit further. Ya wanna get it away from the smoke and other ejected junk.
I cover the face of my unit (not Caldwell) with cardboard to prevent burning from powder debris, my unit has a corded remote display

Yeah I think these guys have pinpointed the problem. I have a Caldwell and normally set it at 15 ft from the muzzle. I have more trouble keeping the sun off the eyes than from smoke. At 15 ft I think the ball speed has already been recorded before the smoke gets there.

I tried for a long time to get my caldwell to pick up with BP unmentionable, and couldn't make it happen. I ended up picking up a lab radar and it's been the best decision I've ever made. If you're serious about it, that is the way to go.

Setting up at 15 feet from the muzzle for muzzleloaders and smokeless always worked just fine.

Back