• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CHRONOGRAPHING

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
So I have a Chrony F-1 which works great for working up loads for the modern rifles and pistols, and the directions mention using it for muzzleloaders, BUT...I've also heard that one may need to put a piece of cardboard between the rifle and the chronograph because the smoke that follows the projectile from our traditional rifles can mess with the timing of the bullet. Has anybody had any such problems with this? I'd rather not schlep all the gear out only to find that all I get is an error message.

I guess I could wait for a windy day....

LD

So I have a Chrony F-1 which works great for working up loads for the modern rifles and pistols, and the directions mention using it for muzzleloaders, BUT...I've also heard that one may need to put a piece of cardboard between the rifle and the chronograph because the smoke that follows the projectile from our traditional rifles can mess with the timing of the bullet. Has anybody had any such problems with this? I'd rather not schlep all the gear out only to find that all I get is an error message.

I guess I could wait for a windy day....

LD
LD,
I use an Oehler 35P and move the screens out to the limit of the cables, about 15 feet.
Seems to work fine, and a bit of wind does help.
Irish

I have always put my chronograph at 10 feet from the muzzle when using black powder. Seems to work fine. I have been able to get away with 3-5 feet with substitute powder that doesn't smoke much. A light breeze is nice too.

I’ve read or heard that same thing, only I was told that it was to protect the screen from ejecta coming from the shot. Most of the time I have placed a piece of cardboard in front of it but once when I did not I managed to hit the display with a wonder wad from my .54. I sent the Chrony off to the factory with some money and received it back in due time. If you don’t use wads I would not worry too much about it.

Thanks, one source said that the cloud of smoke would cross the screens and cause them to electronically "trip"... thus giving you the velocity of your exhaust cloud or just causing and error message.... maybe he just had his too close.

LD

My chronograph is also an Oehler. The skyscreens are set up at around 12 ft or sometimes a bit more from the muzzle. It works as well with BP as it does with modern smokeless arms.

Smoke was never a problem, it was the 45 cal felt wad out of my double rifle hitting the display face at MACH 1.5 that ruined mine years ago.
Now I use a LabRadar, no issues.

I see no need to know how fast the balls going!

I only need to know where it's gonna hit!
I never had a chronograph, but I discovered this forum looking for how fast my .62 was shooting. It was just curiosity. It’s a smoothie. And 50 yards is my range. A hundred for my rifle guns. A .50 loaded with 70 grains 3f exits white tailed deer at at any range I’ve shot one. All in smoothie range.
Still curiosity is there. I have a copy of Lyman’s black powder ballistics, and still thumb through it.

Latest posts

Back