• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chronograph Results

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bent Sight

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been chronographing different powders in my .50 caliber T/C Renegade with 1:66 barrel and lead round balls. I tested Hodgdon Pyrodex RS, Hodgdon Triple Se7en FFG and Hodgdon Triple Se7en FFFG.

40g Hodgdon Triple Se7en FFFG: AV-1396 fps, ES/SD-84/31 fps
40g Hodgdon Triple Se7en FFG: AV-1322 fps, ES/SD-47/20 fps
40g Hodgdon Pyrodex RS: AV-1103 fps, ES/SD53/21 fps

60g Hodgdon Triple Se7en FFFG: AV-1690 fps, ES/SD-41/17 fps
60g Hodgdon Triple Se7en FFG: AV-1603 fps, ES/SD-99/38 fps
60g Hodgdon Pyrodex RS: AV-1281 fps, ES/SD-70/27 fps

I tested 80g of Hodgdon Pyrodex RS to see if it would come close to the velocities 60g of Hodgdon Triple Se7en FFG and FFG gave me.

80g Pyrodex RS: AV-1578 fps, ES/SD-88/33 fps

I was not expecting the Hodgdon Triple Se7en powders to be that much faster than the Pyrodex RS. Given the 100 yard groups I've fired with 60g of Triple Se7en FFFG, it makes sense when someone tells me they are loading 90g of Pyrodex RS in their .50 caliber rifles to get the best accuracy with round balls at 100 yards.

I was not expecting the Hodgdon Triple Se7en powders to be that much faster than the Pyrodex RS.

Triple Seven is lots "hotter" than Pyrodex RS, and that's why they recommend a 10% reduction in charge from your usual with Pyrodex or black powder. Up here in the land where black powder is basically unavailable and subs are the rule, Triple Seven is one of the more popular choices for that reason, along with great accuracy and limited fouling. Good stuff for those who like and use it.

Sorcery.

I don't own a chronograph because I'd rather be pleasantly oblivious. If it comes out the far side of a deer it's good enough.

I don't disagree with that philosophy. Somedays I like to toss clay birds on the berm and shoot at them offhand at 50 meters. Just load, shoot and enjoy the day.

Good data. I also like to chronograph most everything to assure myself I’m doing all I can to get the best results. Knowledge isn’t so much a burden that it stands in the way of fun for me. At a match most of the fellows have all sorts of tools and dodads yet using nothing but a pouch and knife I do quite well because the rifle and load allows me to focus on making the shot.

I don't chronograph that much but since I've had one for years it's still fun to play with occasionally. When/if I change a load component, I like to run it over the screens just to see if there's any difference.

I measured weights vs volumes of each of the black powder substitutes on my digital scale. Weights in grains are lower than volumes in grains, which I documented in my black powder log book. I plan on precisely weighing charges to see just how accurate my rifles will shoot at 100 yards.

I like to extract the maximum accuracy out of my center fire rifles and that carries over to muzzle loaders. The interest in precision will not affect why I like shooting muzzle loaders in the first place. I like to go to the range and shoot offhand at clay birds, steel, etc. and not focus as much on accuracy as having fun.

I find chronograph data to be fascinating because it can prove to be very useful.
I always wanted to buy one, but worry that I would hit the screens or damage the unit with an errant shot.

There's probably a lot of variables that can affect the results to a greater or lesser extent.
Such as a the size of the patch & the balls and how clean the barrel is.
But in the end, it makes me wonder if a very narrow velocity range promotes more consistent accuracy with a particular gun and load.

There's a lot of potential for scientific experimentation with a chrony.
Please don't hesitate to provide more loading details with your chrony results.
Thank you for sharing the data.

Your data shows why they say that 15% less volume of 777 is needed for equivalent loads.
Perhaps that's compared to Pyrodex P rather than the RS.

Last edited:
I've found that a number of things can affect velocity beyond just the powder charge. Chronographing my .40 "B" 38" barrel, a change of lube plus a different patch over a 60 grain charge of 3F increased velocity from 1848 fps to well over 2100 fps; that's a difference of over 200 fps.

Back