• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chromed Bores

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoothshooter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
What's the big deal with the few people who do jug choking not wanting anything to do with working on barrels with chromed bores?
Why can't they use an abrasive cylinder hone on the part of the barrel that will be enlarged as prep work, and then get on with the business of doing the jugging?
I have worked in the aerospace industry for years, and, while not an authority, know a few things about chrome plating, and it's characteristics. It CAN be deeply scratched and damaged by abrasives, and prolonged contact with other non-lapidary surfaces.
So why is it such a problem for custom barrel shops?

The chrome used in rifle bores is harder than Chinese arithmetic and can flat out ruin conventional cuttin’ tools. Maybe with the right abrasives you can do as you say but I’m guessin’ even then it could be time consumin’ to hone out a jug choke in a barrel.

My opinion & yer welcome to it.

Briley has quite the history and rep for working with chromed bores. Noodle around their site to learn what you can, and if I recall correctly, even some of the smithing tools. Haven't approached them about tinkering with a muzzleloader, but their work on some of my modern guns has been stellar.

I don't do work for public but have worked on both muzzleloader and breech loader barrels. First experience years ago on chrome barrel was removing forcing cones and jug choking barrels. From then until now have worked on several. Doubt I will ever do another. Yes you can use abrasive cutting materials to get through the chrome. You can jug choke a breech or muzzleloader with chrome bores, but the difference in time required to do is right is where the problem comes in. If the chrome cuts a little faster in one place than another using an abrasive then your hone is not uniform. Once the chrome is removed in that spot the barrel steel wants to cut faster than where the chrome didnt cut as fast. All chrome plate is not perfect. A single barrel more forgiving with thicker barrel than a double. It is easy to see why a man doing this for a living where his time is his money avoids it. They may have other reasons but I don't do them for myself because not worth the headaches it can involve. Experience can be a painful and expensive teacher.

Latest posts

Back