Chromed Bores

Discussion in 'The Gun Builder's Bench' started by smoothshooter, Apr 10, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Apr 10, 2019 #1

smoothshooter

smoothshooter

smoothshooter

50 Cal.

What's the big deal with the few people who do jug choking not wanting anything to do with working on barrels with chromed bores?
    Why can't they use an abrasive cylinder hone on the part of the barrel that will be enlarged as prep work, and then get on with the business of doing the jugging?
    I have worked in the aerospace industry for years, and, while not an authority, know a few things about chrome plating, and it's characteristics. It CAN be deeply scratched and damaged by abrasives, and prolonged contact with other non-lapidary surfaces.
    So why is it such a problem for custom barrel shops?

2. Apr 10, 2019 #2

bubba.50

bubba.50

bubba.50

54 Cal.

The chrome used in rifle bores is harder than Chinese arithmetic and can flat out ruin conventional cuttin’ tools. Maybe with the right abrasives you can do as you say but I’m guessin’ even then it could be time consumin’ to hone out a jug choke in a barrel.

My opinion & yer welcome to it.

3. Apr 10, 2019 #3

BrownBear

BrownBear

BrownBear

Cannon MLF Supporter

Briley has quite the history and rep for working with chromed bores. Noodle around their site to learn what you can, and if I recall correctly, even some of the smithing tools. Haven't approached them about tinkering with a muzzleloader, but their work on some of my modern guns has been stellar.

4. Apr 15, 2019 at 11:32 AM #4

Felix the Cat

Felix the Cat

Felix the Cat

32 Cal

... or "Stellite"? (har har...!)