• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Christmas Tree Shoot, December 2015

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
This contest should get you in the spirit and give you a chance to do some shootin' at the same time. We are going to decorate some Christmas trees with balls. :grin:
The target is a sheet of standard 8.5" x 11" printer paper. Draw a series of lines across the paper every inch from top to bottom of the paper. There will be ten lines, eleven spaces. At the center of the first (top) line which is one inch below the top edge of the paper make a dot. from the center dot draw a line down to each of the two bottom corners of your paper. The resulting triangle represents your Christmas tree.
Now step back to 25 yards and take ten shots at your tree. The top inch of your tree is worth 10 points, the second inch is worth 9 points, the third inch 8 point, etc. etc.
The higher the balls hit your tree the better your score will be. The lower the balls hit the tree the easier it is to hit the tree. Balls that cut a line completely inside the tree will score according to which side of the line the center of the ball hits. Any ball that cuts the outside line of the tree or misses the tree will count as a zero! (there's gotta be a Grinch in there :haha: )

Take 10 Shots at the "Christmas tree" 8.5"x 11" sheet of typing/printer paper at 25 yards. If you miss, do not try again. Misses count!

One target entry per member.

10 shots per target, hit or miss.

Mutilated targets and targets with more than 10 holes will be disqualified.

No do-overs.

Only registered forum members may participate.

Only traditional, open iron sighted muzzleloading firearms (NO Cannons). Percussion or flintlock ignition.

Single patched round ball only. No restrictions on caliber. (a patchless ball may be used if so desired)

Shots will be taken off-hand at the stated distance.(Standing or seated is allowed, elbows unsupported by anything other than the shooters torso)(In the event that a member is not physically able to hold his rifle up unsupported, a "prop-rod" that is supported only by the shooters torso, no part of which prop-rod may touch the ground, may be used to hold up the fore-end of the rifle)

Only original targets will be accepted. No copies, faxes, scans, etc.

The center of the shot and the proper measurements on the "tree" will be determined by the judge.

Judges decisions are final.

Each contestant's score will be posted at the end of the contest.

Your member screen name must be written on your targets.

Mail your target postmarked by January 2, 2016 to;

Jim Green
P.O.Box 322
Pekin, IL 61555

Targets will not be returned unless an S.A.S.E. is included.

Be safe and have fun! :hatsoff:

I ran the rifle line at the NMLRA Women's Weekend in April and did this target, except it was a single shot, and the triangle represented a volcano. The ladies found it to be a very challenging target. They all tried for the high score and several missed, instead of trying for a more certain but lower score. As I recall, one shot could be worth as much as 50 points, so there was a strong psychological aspect of the shot.

22869278693_9f17674e56_k.jpg
[/url]Christmas Tree 8.5x11[/img]

My interpretation of the described target. Am I close?

Rifleman1776 said:
:shocked2: Why would you want to shoot a Christmas tree? :(

Mostly I just shoot trees when they jump out and take the bullet for the deer I'm trying to shoot.

This will be more fun.

I've been invited to the local ML range on the 13th, this will be only the second or third time I've ever shot a muzzleloader. Somebody has to come in last place right? :rotf:

Getting it loaded???? I shot one and tried to make soup from it. Most of our Christmas trees that grow wild in the ozarks or juniper. You can only get fur and pine on farms :nono: I don't hunt there. Well I got to say the soup tasted like cheap gin...but it was low fat and high in vit c.

I done decorated my tree today. One of them thar bulbs done blowed off'n the left side o' that thar tree. I was tryin t' place 'em a bit tight. Then my shoulders started quiveren from them thar rotation cups that be a bit bad and then they spaced out a bit. Happens though, so it be in the mail.

Greg Bush said:
I've been invited to the local ML range on the 13th, this will be only the second or third time I've ever shot a muzzleloader. Somebody has to come in last place right? :rotf:

HEY!!!

Thats my spot :grin:

If'n ya' just draws the tree and script your screen name to it, then mail 'er in, you pret sure to be in the top 10 out a about 29741 possible shooters. :hmm: :wink: That 'er alone 'll give ya one hell of a shooter reputation. :v :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

I am beginnin' t' wonderin ifn them thar other folks e'er rubbed their shoulders with a butt end o' a rifle gun.:hmm: O' if they even care to have a reason to git out t' a range to make white smoke float in the air. :doh:

Walks with fire said:
Is this shoot for regular members or is it for premium members only? I doubt I will shoot but was curious about future shoots.

The shoots are for all members. Git 'er done!

Went out today with my .54 Lyman GPR caplock.

Second time out with this one.

Standing 25yds 70grns 2f

... well, I certainly left myself plenty of room for improvement :haha:

target_zpsjnzg7bpu.jpg

Back