• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Christmas Doe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsday

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy gentlemen.

First muzzleloader hunt to post.

Friday (12-26) is always the start of our late flintlock season so I was ready to go Christmas night.

In my stand by first light on Friday. Had a little family group come through at 7:30. They all held up at about 65 yards and started to get spooky. I think they may have been getting a bit of my wind. The big doe stood there head on to me looking my way. She was in the open but I wanted her to turn a side to me for the shot. She stood there getting more nervous and was starting to get them all ready to pull out. I figured I better take the shot I had. I was shooting off the wood rail of the stand I was in and felt good about the sight picture.

Squeezed one off and saw her mule kick as the smoke cleared. I thought that must have been a good sign that I had hit where I was aiming. She tore off straight down hill.

Reloaded and and started to look for sign. Didn't find much so I moved on to the last spot I saw her pour over the edge of the bench. Took a few minutes to find her. She had piled up in a tree root hole. A nice mature doe. Hit her in the left center chest about where the neck and brisket meet. Ball exited out her right side ahead of the ham as seen in the pic.

Had a great fall. Got a couple with my bow, but I was itching to get the smoke pole out.

That is my elk rifle in the photo. 62 cal. Beck style. Not my regular whitetail choice but I need to limber it up for this coming September in Colorado.

Thanks all for posting this fall. It's always fun reading about everyone's adventures.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

Greg

Gregory said:
That is my elk rifle in the photo. 62 cal. Beck style. Not my regular whitetail choice but I need to limber it up for this coming September in Colorado.

What unit in Colorado? Have you hunted Colorado before?

Unit 15. Near Steamboat.

Ball never touch any bones other than ribs. Slid in between the brisket and sholder.

Back