• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Choosing Snowshoes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently saw a post on the Southern Vermont Primitive Biathlon, and am now considering getting some wooden snowshoes to try the event out. I have a pair of modern snowshoes, but I'm clueless on wood frame shoes. I'm 6'4" and 270lbs, can anyone suggest what type of snowshoes I should get for mostly groomed trails? Thanks!

Get the smallest wooden snowshoes you can find. These biathlons are on groomed snowmobile trails. Snowshoes are for the added ambience and challenge but are not “needed” to get around the course. Some real competitors wear snowshoes not much bigger than their boots. Well maybe I exaggerate sometimes.

Tubbs makes a "double ended" pickeral style wood frame snowshoe for persons over 200#. A buddy of mine has a pair that he uses when we hunt snow shoe hares in the Northeast Kingdom of VT. For the groomed trails at the Southern VT Primitive Biathalon, just about any wood framed snow shoe would work for you as you will not be sinking into the snow and need the support. I tend to shy away from the wider shoes, as they will wreck havoc on your hips by the end of the day. Stick to shoes that are 12-14" in width.

Rich is most correct that ‘some sandbaggers’ cheat and wear snowshoes smaller than tennis rackets, but I will say that the resulting shame and peer pressure does fairly well at making them think about doing it twice.

That said, there is no need for a s’shoe sized for your weight like if you were out in powder and not on a broken trail, never mind a groomed trail.

Consider adding a crampon-like tooth gizmo for the icy patches, the types that only grip when you step down, as sometimes the s’shoes are more like ice skates!

These events are a ton of fun and the SoVT the BEST! See you there! You can’t miss me with my fur badger hat.

Last edited:
Many years ago I tried rabbit hunting with a pair of so called "Bear Paw" shoes. They were terrible. Small oval and flat and the toes had a tendency to dig in, causing me to trip - a lot.

Later I discovered the Ojibwa style shoes and fell in love. They have upturned pointed toes and slide easily through brush.
Last winter my dear wife discovered how good my shoes performed and I had to make a second pair.

1665686193299.jpeg
1665686220563.jpeg

The aluminum things they call snow shoes currently being in the offered in the outdoor stores make me laugh. They are made to sell to millennials - rather than to use.

Ojibway shoes like T. Hawk says above. Great for getting through thick brush chasing critters or on groomed trails. Stopped using my Alaskans when I got these.

It depends on whether you are really out there snowshoeing or playing the games. I hunted ptarmigan and rabbits for quite a few years and used a pair of the old style wooden snowshoes like Tom A Hawk shows. They beat the modern aluminum frame shoes by a wide margin. Quieter too in the willows. For crossing frozen creeks or lakes they weren't as sure footed as the modern ones with the crampons. There are so many different kinds of snow conditions that one style won't be perfect all the time but the old style that took thousands of years to perfect probably comes as close as any. For the OP's weight I recommend the largest size of shoes he can find to help stay up on soft snow and smaller ones for harder packed snow. Some times in the spring during the daily thaw and nightly freeze I could walk on several feet of snow with nothing but my boots.
Bindings are a whole nuther conversation!

You can get the wooden snowshoe kits from country ways and make your own BUT don't lace it over the frame as shown go through the frame like they should be. The kit will save you a fair amount of $$$ plus you can customize them if you like. If you want simple crampons screw three or four pop/ beer bottle caps along your cross bar and it will give you the traction you need.

Later I discovered the Ojibwa style shoes and fell in love. They have upturned pointed toes and slide easily through brush.
Last winter my dear wife discovered how good my shoes performed and I had to make a second pair.
I strongly second that choice. In my humble opinion they are the very best design anywhere. I used to live in Connecticut and there was a snowshoe race from Quebec to Hartford. Some years they had to truck in snow for the southern end (Hartford). In any event it was a prepared track and the size of the shoes was pretty small.
If you live where there is a lot of wet snow, some folks use a wider opening or thinner lace in the toe area so the heavy snow doesn't clump. Some simply take the lacing off the front altogether.
The bear paws don't have a tail but the tail acts as a counter weight to tedder totter the toe of the shoe upwards. You want that tail. This idea a bear paw allows you to turn around easier is far over stated.

It is said that the Native people in the Arctic have a hundred words for the various types of snow. I wonder if they sometimes have arguments over which type is what.
Either way, at 77, snowshoes for me would be wall decorations. These old bones DO have a favorite type, and that would be the snow on a calendar photo.
Expecting that big winter storm later this week. Wonder how long I'll be stuck in the house.

It is said that the Native people in the Arctic have a hundred words for the various types of snow. I wonder if they sometimes have arguments over which type is what.
Either way, at 77, snowshoes for me would be wall decorations. These old bones DO have a favorite type, and that would be the snow on a calendar photo.
Expecting that big winter storm later this week. Wonder how long I'll be stuck in the house.
You pretty well summed up why I moved to Southern Arizona after 41 years in Alaska. From where I sit I can see some snow on the mountain tops and that's as close as I need to get to it.

Those are beautiful. For others- look at the pair on the bed, the tips curve up much higher than you'll see on a lot of commercial models- makes a big difference.

Since you're a bigger person, you'll want to look for larger snowshoes that can support your weight. The size of the snowshoe you need will depend on the type of snow you'll be traveling on, but a good starting point would be a snowshoe that is around 14" x 48". These snowshoes will be able to support a person of your size and are a good size for groomed trails.

As for the style of snowshoe, there are a few different options. The most common types of wooden snowshoes are the Alaskan and the Maine. The Alaskan style has a pointed toe and a long, narrow frame, while the Maine style has a more rounded toe and a wider frame. The Maine style is generally better for flat or rolling terrain, while the Alaskan style is better for steeper terrain.

These biathlons are on packed trails where walking or jogging without snowshoes would be faster and easier. Wearing snowshoes is more of an additional obstacle than a help. I agree in fresh snow, size should match the user and conditions. Most backwoods snowshoers have at least 2 pairs for different conditions.

Back