• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Choosing a caliber/barrel for a flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My only flintlock thus far was a Tennessee in .54 made by Jack Garner. I’m leaning towards Southern style rifles but I am learning to appreciate Pennsylvania and Virginia styles more.

I'm considering having a flint Longrifle built; likely a Tennessee style, 42" barrel. Ideally, I'd like to divest myself of my current rifles and have just the one rifle for plinking, small game, and the possibility of a deer hunt.
I'm thinking a .45 cal will fit the bill; I can hunt rabbits and grouse with light charges and roundballs, and stoke it up with heavier charges and Lee REAL 200-grain bullets for deer.
I see that the Colerain barrels have a 1:56 twist compared to the 1:66 offered by Green Mountain. Should there be any practical difference in performance between these two barrels, given my intended use?
All opinions welcome; thanks in advance!

I do not know your muzzle loader laws, but a 45 is minimum for my state. If it wasn't, I would be in the field with my 40.

It varies province to province; some have no legal minimum if I recall correctly.
I too have a .40; it seems to be a cut-down Dixie Tennessee cap lock with a .30-inch barrel and a cherry stock. I just figure .45 is as small as I’d like to go.👍🏻

I'm considering having a flint Longrifle built; likely a Tennessee style, 42" barrel. Ideally, I'd like to divest myself of my current rifles and have just the one rifle for plinking, small game, and the possibility of a deer hunt.
I'm thinking a .45 cal will fit the bill; I can hunt rabbits and grouse with light charges and roundballs, and stoke it up with heavier charges and Lee REAL 200-grain bullets for deer.
I see that the Colerain barrels have a 1:56 twist compared to the 1:66 offered by Green Mountain. Should there be any practical difference in performance between these two barrels, given my intended use?
All opinions welcome; thanks in advance!

So I've gone ahead and placed my order at TVM Natchez. Southern Rifle, Presentation maple, .45 cal, .42" straight octagon barrel, red-stained stock, browned steel furniture.
I'll be waiting about a year; good thing I have other shootin' irons to fool with.

No where near an expurt but been shooting MLs off and on for 40 years. Always Hawk's, Shotgun and pistols of all kinds. Must admit i never liked "golden age" rifles till very very recently. I know what works for me and not into any science about it. From my standpoint and physical condition (72, 6'1") a 42" 13/16 Penn Rifle in .45 is really nice and handles well. Even a 1/16" more AF is noticeable weight wise and 15/16" feels and swings like a lead pipe. I have no experience with swamped barrels but think 13/16 in .45 is too small for "swamping". Also handling lead smaller than .45 can be a challenge thanks to carpal tunnel, arthritis and lifting a tractor off my chest. Also a 5/16" ramrod helps slim the rifle down and with the right patch and ball goes down easy enough for me.

Last edited:
So I've gone ahead and placed my order at TVM Natchez. Southern Rifle, Presentation maple, .45 cal, .42" straight octagon barrel, red-stained stock, browned steel furniture.
I'll be waiting about a year; good thing I have other shootin' irons to fool with.
I'd be considering changing the order to a swamped barrel. Better balance and handling characteristics.

I'd be considering changing the order to a swamped barrel. Better balance and handling characteristics.
I'm considering it; I just wonder if the swamped barrel would be such a noticeable difference on an already-light rifle.
I also need to decide if I want to add another 15% to the cost.

I would skip some other expenses in life to upgrade to a swamped barrel. Depends on how you use it, but for walking I would prefer lighter and more balanced weight distribution.
Agreed.
I like a straight barrel for shooting targets off-hand, aka "standing-unsupported"..., as I find that the weight gives inertia, since the rifle is "nose heavy" and I get a lot less movement from the front sight post.
BUT..., I don't like trying to shoot deer in the standing-unsupported position, and the swamped barrel especially when balanced is a joy to carry and to shoot.

LD

I like my 42” swamped barrel. But like Loyalist Dave stated I too prefer a straight tube for my unsupported target shooting............but I do that with a 38-39” barrel. Front heavy and holds very well. Greg

Have you reviewed the dimensions for swamped barrels in .45? Some seem bigger than 13/16 at breech. I wonder what the weight difference is between the two?

Just for a comment, I had a TVM Virginia in a swamped 54 caliber. Seemed to balance very well, but it was long at 42 inches. Silly but it was a bit long to go in my 4Runner easily. So i traded for a 36 inch straight in 54, and it was a ton easier to get in the car. But in my perception the swamped felt maybe lighter? Probably the same weight, but the balance perception was very different for me. Anyway same rifle, different barrels made the rifles seem very different.

.45 is an excellent caliber choice and will serve your purpose, large and small, using a patched round ball for both. I would go with the Green Mountain barrel.
Robin
Amen, Green Mtn, is all I will use for my builds. Hard to beat a .45 cal for most things up through deer . If elk or bear are on the card then I'd move to a .54 or .58 round ball. I think most guns built and used east of the Mississippi where under 50 cal. When one had to pack eveything on their back or mule for a several months long hunt, economy of weight and power needed had to be figured pretty close.

Just for a comment, I had a TVM Virginia in a swamped 54 caliber. Seemed to balance very well, but it was long at 42 inches. Silly but it was a bit long to go in my 4Runner easily. So i traded for a 36 inch straight in 54, and it was a ton easier to get in the car. But in my perception the swamped felt maybe lighter? Probably the same weight, but the balance perception was very different for me. Anyway same rifle, different barrels made the rifles seem very different.
I went with a straight 13/16s barrel on my SMR in 36 inch length and an very happy with it. Being only 5'6" tall I'd have had to carry a stool around with me to load it if it were 42 inches! 😄 I think swamping makes a lot of sense with heavier barrels and calibers , .50 and above, but not much in smaller diameter bores and thin barrels .
I've also read (but don't know how true it is) that you will almost never find a swamped barrel in the winners column at Friendship.

Last edited:
I resurrected this thread to update: I did in fact order a .45 Southern from TVM in July 2021; I took delivery two days ago.
It's gorgeous. Fancy curly maple, 42" X 13/16" Colerain barrel, Siler flint lock, Davis triggers.
Thanks to all who replied to this thread, and to Hanshi for a little extra advice.
The cardboard box photos came from TVM, the snow photos are mine and really show the beautiful colour and grain.
Winter ML lock.jpg
winter ML port.jpg
Southern lock.jpg
Southern port.jpg

Last edited:
I resurrected this thread to update: I did in fact order a .45 Southern from TVM in July 2021; I took delivery two days ago.
It's gorgeous. Fancy curly maple, 42" X 13/16" Colerain barrel, Siler flint lock, Davis triggers.
Thanks to all who replied to this thread, and to Hanshi for a little extra advice.
The cardboard box photos came from TVM, the snow photos are mine and really show the beautiful colour and grain.
View attachment 176892View attachment 176893View attachment 176894View attachment 176895
Good looking rig!

Back