• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Choose between Jaeger or Motrimer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enfield58

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I need another gun like I need a hole in the head. Regardless, I'm contemplating the purchase of either the Pedersoli Jaeger target rifle or the Mortimer Flintlock target rifle.

I like the hooked breech feature of the Mortimer but have heard that the Jaeger is not as muzzle heavy.

Does anyone here have experience with either rifle? If so, what are your impressions?

I have/had both of these rifles. And have liked both. The Jaeger is not typical of the Jaeger we know, more like a shorten Lancaster PA rifle. And of course, much discussion on the fast rate of twist has occurred. I shot mine with a .530 ball with .016 pillow ticking patch and 70 grains fffg powder. For me it shot very well. I could group it within 1-1 1/2 inches at 50 yards. I am more of a woods walk shooter and also a hunter of sorts, but had not shot any deer with it. Never saw one while hunting it. It handled nicely and when fitted with a sling carried fine. The barrel is 1" octagon and it can be bored out a bit, maybe to a .58. Ignition was good, lock functioned as it should. The Mortimer is also a nice rifle, more indicative of early (1820-30 ish) English hunting style. It is as heavy, if that matters, as the Jaeger. This is because the length of the barrel is longer. But then weight is subjective, sort of, depending on shooter. I have a 47" long rifle that is heavy also, but one gets used to it. The Mortimer shoots well, again, 1-1 1/2" groups at 50 yards. (Maybe my eyes can't do better, both guns could do more, especially with some sight other than the open ones of my guns). I used the same load as above and was/am happy. Lock is fast and reliable.
I liked both guns at the time that I owned them. I however, do like some PC restrictions, and to me, the Jaeger wasn't quite there. Normally I shoot a custom Lancaster rifle with swamped barrel, or my .36 Kibler Mountain rifle.
I hope this helps your decision. I am sure anyway you go, you will be satisfied. I was/am. PM me if you want any more info on the rifles.

1586884113663.png

I think the OP is referencing this one and not the Hunter. This one has a 32 5/16 barrel with a 1 in 65 twist and 11 thou rifling

Yes, I was referencing the target version of both rifles but welcome observations of the other variants. Many thanks.

I have a flintlock Mortimer with both a rifle and shotgun barrel. Best million dollars I've ever spent lol. The rifle barrel shoots like a dream with 80 grains of 2F, 530 RB, and .018 patch. They are tight! I tried lots of combo loads with 3f and never could get it to group. I have numerous flintlocks custom and production. L&R locks, pedersoli and traditions. The Mortimer is by far the fastest flint ignition of any of them. The Mortimer lock is smooth as butter and my single trigger is about 3-4 lbs out of the box.

I'm contemplating the purchase of either the Pedersoli Jaeger target rifle or the Mortimer Flintlock target rifle.

My seeing a Pedersoli Jaeger is not uncommon, though they are normally the hunting version. The Mortimer is quite rare where I live.
So..., IF you are going to drop the coin, then I say dare to be different, and go with the Mortimer.

LD

Latest posts

Back