• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Choke question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Any'a you fellas know if "Curley" Gostomski choked his Trade Gun barrels?
I picked up one'a them rascals on the innernet a month'er so, ago, and I do believe thet .62 42" tube is choked.

The Trade Gun barrel I got from Ol'Laffin Dog (new owner of North Star West) last spring, didn't have no "choke" in'er! ::

Knew Curly for a long time...we wuz good friends and spent a bit of time together.

Not normally. That is not to say he wouldn't have rolled choked one for a friend or jugged it to suit a pal.

He could roll choke a thin barrel, or Jug a thick one.

I miss that rascal, he was one to ride the river with. My wife has the prototype of the Australian 'billie" he produced. This one is done in copper.

Michael Rowe(KIWI) of Quality Locks could tell ya more on them as Curly took him under his wing when he came to America.
[email protected] will get in touch with him.

TwoShadows,.... Thanks for tha reply!! I thot this barrel might have ben an "exception" rather than tha "rule"!!

I'd always heard good things 'bout "Curley",... tho I never was privileged enough to have made his aquaintance!

YMHS
rollingb

Onliest fellar I know that regularly makes choked barrels is Keith Casteel over in Virginia....his are choked bored from one end to the other....friend has one and says it is wondrus ...exceptional patterns way out...says it outdoes his modern shotgun....

Onliest fellar I know that regularly makes choked barrels is Keith Casteel over in Virginia....
http://www.longrifle.ws/artisans/artisanid.asp?ID=38

Keith Casteel will be at the Dixon's Gunmakers Fair...
[ Friday July 23, Saturday July 24, & Sunday July 25 2004 ]
9:00am - 5:00pm Daily

http://dixonmuzzleloading.com/index.php?section=gunmakersfair
Click the link above for the directions...

When: 7/24/2004 9:30 AM
Where: Dixon's Gunmakers Fair, Seminar Tent
Speaker: Keith Casteel
Subject: Flintlock Tuning

Had the opportunity to sit in on one of Keith's lock tuning classes a couple years ago. Best know your lock beforehand...it's easy to get lost, but he has forgotten more about a Siler lock than most folks ever knew!

By golly!!.. I know "who" ta send my silers to,.... "now"...., ta git'em tuned!! hee! hee! hee! :winking:

Wal, Ol Keith can shore do ya good on one, but he is a high dollar fellar. and him catching the time is another factor.

TwoShadows,.... I meant,.... I'd send my silers to "you" (you "slippery rascal" :haha:), after you mentioned thet you got to "sit in" on one of Keith's lock-tune'n classes!! ::

2 Shadows, If you choked a barrel from "one end to the other" you'd be back to a cylinder bore, wouldn't you?

2 Shadows, If you choked a barrel from "one end to the other" you'd be back to a cylinder bore, wouldn't you?
You would think so...

I think what "one end to the other" choke means is a long, slowly tapering choke that goes the whole length of the barrel, not just the last two inches before the muzzle...

Guess I should re-state what I mean when I say choked from one end to the other (Choke bored...).

Lets say the barrel is 20 guage. That is 62 caliber....or .620 diameter bore. Lets assume then that the barrel is .620 at the breech. Slowly taper the entire length of the barrel until the diameter is .616 at the muzzle. This is going to be fairly close to full choke were it a modern barrel. .004 reduction in bore diameter is what choking amounts too. This process (simplified)is done by rolling the heated barrel on a flat surface with a flat piece of cold steel and stretching the barrel out somewhat longer. This is making the muzzle end of the barrel smaller in diameter by applying greater pressure on the barrel at the muzzle end.

Cylinder bore means that the bore is the same diameter all the way of course. Improved cylinder, modified, and full choke happens when the bore diameter is gradually decreased along the length. This is usually done in the last few inches of a barrel. I believe the English were first to do "choke boring" in an attempt to further reduce the size of the shot pattern.

Having a choke bored barrel or barrel with any amount of choke makes loading round ball a bit more difficult. It also makes for problems in sealing the gases all along the barrel in most scenario's. I am not willing to give up round ball accuracy for shot pattern. If you follow the belief that a smothbore runs out of pattern long before penetration capability, you will no doubt understand that cylinder bore is much more versatile than any amount of choking in a frontloader.

Choke bored barrels would be useful to me only if turkey or goose hunting were mainly what the gun is used for. Having said that...I realize opinions are like other parts of anatomy ie: "everybody's got one". It ain't how you pick yer nose...it's about where ya flick tha BOOGER!

hehehe...RollinB, you must have been a car dealer in a former existence...

Onliest thing I do to a Siler lock is dip it in Elmers glue and roll it in sequins to make it look purty.

TwoShadows,... LOL,.. Nope, I never was a car-dealer, but I use'ta do some "hoss-trade'n"! :winking: :D

Yep!!.. I bet a Siler covered with sequins, would be "purty"!! :: :applause:

Back