• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Choke mod on a Pedersoli 20 SxS?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody Morgan

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been accused of being a heretic before but versatility is my life watchword.
The Pedersoli 20g SxS flinter I have coming has fixed chokes and I would also like to shoot ball out of it. I'm considering having the gun sent to have removable chokes installed. That way, I can have my cake and eat it too with one gun. Cylinder choke for ball or wire nuts (nod to BP Maniac 😂), change to a restricted choke for birds.
Mix and match if'n I want to.

What does the forum think? I can take it. ;)

wm (and his big ideas)

Why not? If it makes it more versatile then go ahead. However, you don't need cylinder choke for ball, just match the ball size to the diameter. My Pedersoli 20 gauge uses a .610 ball in the "Mod" barrel and a .626 ball in the "IC" barrel. It shoots both to the same exact point of aim at 35-yards. After that they start spreading out. Really no need to change the choke, just match the load.

Your barrel wall thickness will determine if you even can install screw in chokes. Trying to match modern 20 gauge choke tubes to muzzle loader barrels that may not be true 20 gauge (my Pedersoli SxS is actually a 19 gauge) can be problematic in getting the restriction reduction you want. Like Sperkitoff said, you don't really need to, so WHY? Screw in chokes are a nightmare on a muzzle loading shotgun, IMHO, from an installation to a maintenance standpoint & unnecessary. To each his own!

Back