• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Choice of smoothbore flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarylandML

32 Cal
Reaction score
I originally wanted to start with a percussion military rifle but enough feedback from forum members suggested flintlock and even more suggested smoothbore as to be able to hunt everything with one firearm. I got to work looking for some and found two sellers. Both smoothbores are amazing looking and hold nicely. Seller #1 has an English Folwer in 16 gauge. It weighs in at 7 pounds with a 44" Octogan to round barrel. Barrel is browned to protect from rusting dont know what lock is or whi built it. Second seller has a Fusíl de Chasse in 20 gauge with a 42" barrel weighing in at 8 pounds and some change. Octogon to Round barrel as well as being browned. I wish I had photos but my phone battery went kaput and the store tech couldnt recover them as they were taken too soon to be stored in a failsafe cloud. Oops. Based off of these specs given what is the better choice ? Both are around $1400 and are fullstocked. I know the Fusils are popular on here. Thanks to everyone who replies.

I originally wanted to start with a percussion military rifle but enough feedback from forum members suggested flintlock and even more suggested smoothbore as to be able to hunt everything with one firearm. I got to work looking for some and found two sellers. Both smoothbores are amazing looking and hold nicely. Seller #1 has an English Folwer in 16 gauge. It weighs in at 7 pounds with a 44" Octogan to round barrel. Barrel is browned to protect from rusting dont know what lock is or whi built it. Second seller has a Fusíl de Chasse in 20 gauge with a 42" barrel weighing in at 8 pounds and some change. Octogon to Round barrel as well as being browned. I wish I had photos but my phone battery went kaput and the store tech couldnt recover them as they were taken too soon to be stored in a failsafe cloud. Oops. Based off of these specs given what is the better choice ? Both are around $1400 and are fullstocked. I know the Fusils are popular on here. Thanks to everyone who replies.
I would go with the 16 gauge personally. It has the lesser weight and the larger bore ( I have some pretty big stuff in my collection, I like to burn powder and make smoke). The 16 gauge will be a definite deerslayer to say 50~60 yards once ya get good. One thing you'll see is that smoothbores are kinda harder to learn on than a rifle. I started on a .75 cal British Brown Bess Musket. The lack of a rear sight creates a challenge. It took me one full year to get my cheek well right and two years to be accurate past 40 yards. Now I can make a 4" group at 80 yards 2/3 of the time. The 20 gauge Fusil will be easier to get shot cards and round balls because it is .62 caliber but Track of the Wolf carries all of your 16ga needs. Since those barrels are octogon to round you could have a dovetail milled and install a rear sight to give you some deer hunting bonus points and to get consistent target results when developing a load. I say 16 gauge personally you dont see many of them.

I agree with SmoothboreMurph on this one. I personally own a 16 gauge fowler. I believe it is English style. My bore comes out to be .668, so I use Track of the Wolf .648 round balls and I use a .020" patch. I get good groups with mine at 60 yards since I had a rear sight thrown on her. I have ordered my own .648 ball mould from Jeff Tanner to make them more cost effective. So far I have taken two Turkey with it in Maryland's Spring Turkey season. I also took about 12 squirrels and 2 Rabbits back in the winter small game season. My PRB load is a .648 round ball, .020" wonderlube patch and about 90 grains FFG powder. I started at 110 and worked back to 90. I might knock it back to 80 or 85 grains and see what results I get. Definitely go with the 16 gauge, three of my friends have 20 gauge Fusils and are very jealous of mine. Lol.

Based on the info provided, I'd probably go with the 16 gauge English Fowling piece. I like that it is lighter and has the longer barrel.
But, you don't mention what wood either gun is stocked with. This may not matter depending on the wood and how concerned you are with the gun being correct for a given time period and place.
Also, what is the length of pull down each gun? Other stock fit measurements? Which comes down to, how does each gun fit you? Go with whichever fits you correctly.

I'm throwing my recommendation in with the 16 gauge votes. The lighter weight will make it easier to carry. The 16 gauge can always be loaded down to 20 gauge performance. I suspect the 16 gauge will provide a more even pattern with shot. The large ball will be very effective on deer sized game.

But as @Brokennock observes, go with the gun that fits you best.

I too lean toward the 16 gauge. One other point is if you can shoulder each, which one I has the best fit and sight picture? Also, is this a plinker/target gun and what will you hunt with it? All factor into the decision. If they are well made you probably can’t go wrong with either one.

Locks being equal , Id also go with the 16 bore.
often the barrels are same size on outside, so the 20's are thicker walled and don't handle so nicely.
Often too, the French model has more drop in the stock and does not fit the shoulder as well as some of ther British types.
This is just a generalisation, and mounting both to your shoulder is best if possible.
Mine has a Don Getz 44 inch 16 bore barrel. Seems light as a feather..

The 16 ga. sounds like the better bet to me. It will work for anything/everything you will likely ever hunt. I have a 20 but it has a rear sight and that makes a major difference.

16 gauge definitely. I have a 16 gauge New England fowler. Lovely gun. 42 inch barrel and six pounds four ounces.
An additional advantage is the weight. A seven pound gun is a lot easier to carry for a day than an eight pounder.

I have to agree with all the above. I love the looks of fusil and a tullie but for versatility and hunting use go with the 16.

Go with the one that fits you best.
(Oh yeah, I and others already said that)

Ballisticaly you won't notice a lot of difference between 16 and 20 unless you get into waterfowl.
We had a forum member here who recently passed away that took a bison with his 20 gauge with a roundball, and I see quite a few turkeys and deer posted that were taken with a 20.
I like the 16, but, you aren't generally disadvantaged with the 20.

Back