• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Chocolate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So that was the use for the "chocolate grator" in the ad.

Also, check this out:

Spence

OK Spence, Now I saw a reference to Martha Washington's favorite breakfast drink being chocolate made from the shells.

So that was the use for the "chocolate grator" in the ad.

Also, check this out:

Spence

Spence,
Thanks for that video, literally vine to table process.
Weird, gourd looking fruit!!
One might think the loaf was the general shape of the end product from what you see there

OK Spence, Now I saw a reference to Martha Washington's favorite breakfast drink being chocolate made from the shells.
That was probably what today is called cacao husk tea, made by simply steeping crushed hulls in hot water.

Spence

Great, now I'm really wanting a nice mug of hot chocolate. But, also, all the mixes have dairy, and I've not found a good way to make it lactose free.
Oh well.
If you with the trail recipe its just unsweetened chocolate, water and muscavado sugar to taste.
I was skeptical but it still good without the cream!
I'll forewarn you though, its easy to go too heavy on the chocolate!!
Try it out!

Great, now I'm really wanting a nice mug of hot chocolate. But, also, all the mixes have dairy, and I've not found a good way to make it lactose free.
Oh well.

Maybe try rice milk. I have come across references to rice milk in the period.

So here's what I came up with : cakes made by melting a little over an ounce of chocolate and using a muffin pan to mold them. They look a little funky because I cooled them in the freezer but I should've just let them air cool and the color would've been more consistent. I also used Carbon 6's method of making sugar plugs to go along with the chocolate while I was at it and wrapped everything up in paper and used sealing wax to close the fold. KIMG0739.JPG KIMG0740.JPG KIMG0746.JPG KIMG0745.JPG

The closest we can get to the 18th century chocolate can be found in the Mexican aisle in the ethnic food store. You buy a disc of the ground chocolate which may be seasoned with cinnamon. Break off one or two of the scored sections and let it steep in warm water or milk. Add sugar to taste. I like it in my coffee with a bit of sugar.

Most of the Mexican chocolate is ground beans on granite mills and mixed to form a cake. Its definitely different from a package of Swiss Miss.

The closest we can get to the 18th century chocolate can be found in the Mexican aisle in the ethnic food store. You buy a disc of the ground chocolate which may be seasoned with cinnamon. Break off one or two of the scored sections and let it steep in warm water or milk. Add sugar to taste.

Yes I've tried it in hot water, and you do end up with something that needs stirring in between sips. They recommend that you use the stuff in whole milk, and that you grate it. The whole milk as it already has fat, does a better job of holding the Mexican beverage chocolate in suspension. ;)

Here's a 2009 ad by Kashi, that is quite pretentious, (imho).., the spokesperson is allegedly a "buyer" and shows her actually selecting cocoa fruits and later beans for the cereal company...there is a good shot of a man making the cocoa beans into chocolate. He is not shown adding sugar because "white sugar" is "bad" according to Kashi, and I don't think at that stage he'd add the sugar, anyway. THEN the spokesperson tastes the stuff and acts like she enjoys it...:confused:. (The stuff would be terribly bitter...not a situation where you'd utter "yum"). Try some baker's unsweetened dark chocolate some time and you will get an idea of what she would've actually tasted. o_O Baker's brand will work for those who can't find the Mexican chocolate.

the Ad:

LD

I've carried/used the Ibarra discs since the 80s. I hadn't seen the reshaping thing, thanks for that, I like the idea of adding a few more spices and reshaping into a more period style.

I've carried/used the Ibarra discs since the 80s. I hadn't seen the reshaping thing, thanks for that, I like the idea of adding a few more spices and reshaping into a more period style.
Hiparoo,
Thanks!
In the future I will wrap them 2 cakes per package to make it easier on transport

Although Dates did not come around till the end of the 1800's, I use them instead of sugar with the Pure Coco Paste I buy, mixes/integrates better with the coco (melt it first). Pour it into molds and let harden, also put nut paste I make on top to add to the awesome mix :)

Latest posts

Back