• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

chisels....lesson learned.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocullen

40 Cal
Reaction score
The last couple of weeks I've been diddling(?) with chisels and everything(a lot anyway) that goes with them.
First lesson I bought a set. Who wants to buy 1 chisel, right?
Second lesson I didn't buy premium chisels, Pfiel, Two Cherries, Pie, Auriou, or any of the well respected.

I purchased a small set off of...well, the net. Starts with a S ends with f.
They were the sharpen them yourself variety and I could get them, um, er, uh kinda sharp, except one and to their credit they sent me a new one of same pattern, 3F-20 and it sharpened up to the same level; almost sharp.

Kinda disappointed, I ordered a Pfeil to compare with; a 7-12.

Meanwhile, I noticed the S****f's were not very uniform on the profile grind, the top defining edges.
I made some hardwood blocks to the profiles of the worst offenders and used them with 220 grit W/D sand paper, then 600.
Helped quite a bit once the edges were cleaned up, but still not SHARP.

The Pfeil came in.......oh, that's what sharp looks and feels like.
The S****fs would hardly cut softwood, much less hard rock maple.
The Pfeil would slice thru(end grain also) it with just a little effort.

Comparing the Pfeils bevel to the others, I reduced the angle of my old 3F-20(leaving the new arrival alone) to match the angle of the Pfeil's; I had to reduce the angle about 7 or 8°, maybe a tad more. Fortunately, I stumbled upon a Makita 982-02 sharpener that needed some repairs to it, got it fixed up and was about to grind without too much trouble/worries.

That brought the edge of the 3F-20 S****f to FEEL like the Pfeil; but it sure didn't cut like the Pfeil.
Since I determined that these chisels from the set were rather useless for intended use(hard maple) I went a head and ground the 6-13 down to the angle of Pfeil and it helped sharpen it up to again FEEL like the Pfeil, but again it sure didn't cut like it.
In both cases I had to exert 1 and a half(or more) times the effort with the "set" chisels than the Pfeil.

I got the set(after grinding/re-beveling)to slice thru pine(maybe whitewood) like butter. The Pfeil would cut thru it like hot butter.
I also bought a Lamp brand from woodcarvers supply and it cut comparable to the Pfeil and about $18 cheaper, but they are a "house brand" and supply is limited.
But we ain't carving pine, so from now on, it's gonna be well known/respected chisels.

i had the worst time convincing the idiot working on a 300.00 piece of wood (me) that a 50-60 dollar chisel was a good investment.
until the cheap chisel the idiot(me) was using hogged out a big chip on the lock inlet.
then the idiot listened.
yep, the sharp one are a lot easier to control.

I've only had experience with the Pfeil and the Lamp. Both come razor sharp and seem to go forever. It's just that the Lamp brand is Woodcarvers Supply house brand and right now they have very low selection.
I'm gonna try one of the Hirsch from Lee Valley....unless someone tells me it's a waste of money(hint, hint)
I've heard they're good...?

These guys have way more experience/knowledge than I; maybe they'll lend a hand, but Pfeil is available and pretty darn good. There may be better, but they'll cut you from across the room.

First lesson I bought a set. Who wants to buy 1 chisel, right?,,,
Second lesson I didn't buy premium chisels,
I had to learn those 2 very same lessons myself.
It's a hard lesson to learn when yer livin a tight budget,, only to find out later that the "bargain" blade set was a loss. 🥴
Later on I layed my hands on just one of those Pfeil palm handled tools another feller had,, and learned that there is right in the world.

Last edited:
If you need some straight, carpenter type chisels, the DeWalts from Home Depot are super sharp and seem to hold up well. They're made in Sheffield, if that means anything today.
I also bought a Narex 1/8" pairing chisel and it came very sharp and seems to hold up well.

I had to learn those 2 very same lessons myself.
It's a hard lesson to learn when yer livin a tight budget,, only to find out later that the "bargain" blade set was a loss. 🥴
Not a COMPLETE loss. Might want to carve some pine or basswood some day. :rolleyes:
I have had a lot more expensive lessons, but that was before I was on a fixed income.

edit: I can use one of those cheap 3F-20 with a mallet and hog off some wood!

Last edited:
I agree that Pfeil chisels are second to none but I've bought a few 'vintage' chisels from local Antique Centres here in the UK. Generally speaking they need some TLC to get them back from being used to open tins and stir paint but once properly sharpened they hold a far better edge than anything new in my price range.

Buy the best you can afford, use them, strop them frequently. They'll stay sharp for a very long time. I only carve small figures, chains, spoons, balls in boxes, and other various small things but the knives and chisels need to be good and sharp. Get the best and you will only buy once.
Carving is a relaxing activity.

I’ve been on a Pfeil kick lately, too. Pick up a new one or two a month, when what I need is in stock. I’m also very fond of old Marples chisels. Harder to find, but good ones show up on the auction sites.
Bob

How can you identify the older ones?

Latest posts

Back