• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Chilled Lead Shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I was given 50 Lbs. of 7 1/2 chilled lead shot. I have plenty of shot for my smooth bore needs. Is it pure lead? Is it to hard to meld down for round balls? What is it worth? Does any one want it and what do you have to trade or pay? Your advise is needed.
Ike

Read the other threads re shot. It is more valuable as shot (sell or trade). It might be ok to cast into hard lead balls for use in a smoothbore but most commercial shot uses a hard lead alloy that cannot be used where pure/soft lead is needed.

Last bag of shot I bought cost $43 + tax. A local trap/skeet range would be good place to sell. Shipping it would be costly.

Most lead shot is pretty hard. It has a fairly high antimony content.

Most lead shot is pretty hard. It has a fairly high antimony content.

Chilled lead shot is called "chilled" for a reason. It is dropped quickly into water when molten to increase the hardness. "soft" shot is cooled more slowly. Hardness is determined by the method of cooling and the amount of tin, antimony, and arsenic in the lead.
Magnum shot has the highest amount of antimony.
The softer shot is the more dense it is.

Question for the group here. Ive been shooting muzzle loaders for many years, flint and percussion rifles and pistols. I have yet to fire a smooth bore side by side or single barrel with shot. Is there a special shot for a muzzle loading shotgun or can you use modern shot since it is chilled or harder than the pure lead balls that is use in my rifles and pistols?

Muzzleloading smoothbores should use pure lead shot when be loaded traditionally. But you can use a shot cup to protect the bore and use the other shots. I recall reading a CVA shotgun loading recommendation that used plastic shot cups.

Question for the group here. Ive been shooting muzzle loaders for many years, flint and percussion rifles and pistols. I have yet to fire a smooth bore side by side or single barrel with shot. Is there a special shot for a muzzle loading shotgun or can you use modern shot since it is chilled or harder than the pure lead balls that is use in my rifles and pistols?

I've use both chilled and magnum shot with no problems.

Latest posts

Back