• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Childish but some what effective

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Being in my senior years I have started passing "stuff" like lead furnace, molds etc to SIL and SON ..so if I want to make a big run I go to their house...

But this project is a little run of a few hundred .31 cal balls n bullets but I still wanted something not needing 4 arms to manage

I am sure since I don't claim to be the sharpest knife in the drawer that this or something even better has been created but this was from material I had in hand:cool:

20210417_083235.jpg
20210417_083241.jpg
20210417_083258.jpg

Have a great weekend everyone

Bear

Just remember we are casting belly gun bullets here folks ..just ran it first time last night ..note bullet mold in upside down position (keep the steel spru cutter hot and everything flows fully) ..once everything is up to heat speed I can pull 2 ball n 2 bullets every 60 seconds (mold is 2 cavity 1 ball 1 bullet)

Bear

I am sure since I don't claim to be the sharpest knife in the drawer that this or something even better has been created but this was from material I had in hand

Um..., It looks like the mold in the photos is upside down so you might want to flip the mold right side up before you pour, I'm thinkin' ??? 🤔

Bullet Mold Inverted.JPG

LD

I could get away with that in the house because I am not married. Add a pie tin to keep the bullets and cut sprues in one place and you are all set.:thumb:

Um..., It looks like the mold in the photos is upside down so you might want to flip the mold right side up before you pour, I'm thinkin' ??? 🤔

View attachment 73714

LD
Yup LD it is up side down here is the sequence once everything is up to "heat speed"

1. torch on dipper full of molten lead
2. rotate torch 15 degrees right to heat steel spru cutter plate (5 seconds-all flows well if spru cutter hot) as mold is already hot.
3. rotate torch back towards you 30 degrees remove mold..remove and hold ladle level w/ pour notch just below pour hole of mold while holding mold on its side pour hole facing ladle pour notch ..at this point mold and ladle are still above the flame for 5 more seconds
4. gently rotate the two units in unison and fill first then second cavity
5. place ladle back into its mounting and rotate torch back on to the ladle and add 100gr lead chunk
6. whack spru cutter dropping a ball,a bullet and two spru in a pan with spru going back into the ladle

I can do 1-6 about every 30 seconds ..if I am in a hurry ..I am retired ..I seldom get hurried .. :cool:

Thanks
Bear

One thought came to mind... how to you plan to deal with spillage... and there WILL BE spillage...
Murphy was an optimist.
Well you know that spilling is an absolute ..but this old man has a system for that also ..I work outside under roof ..the "stand" sits on a half sheet of plywood on the concrete floor and I sit in a lawn table chair with my elbows on my knees.. I have great nerves and liquid spill actually is negligent ..surprisingly once going I will make a BB size "cold" bead above each pour hole..then whack the spru cutter allowing beads to fall to my feet pie pan ..open the mold under my lawn chair dropping the ball and bullet in that pie pan and then cycle again ..

Have a great week everyone
Bear

Back