• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Chief’s Grade Indian Trade Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At a small gun show last week, I did a little horse trading and came away with the Chief’s Grade Indian Trade Gun pictured. The bore is like a mirror, .62 caliber and the barrel is 41” long. The left hand lock shows the sitting fox, boar‘s head with horn and British stamp. It weighs 6.2 pounds (including the sling) and handles beautifully. It shows considerable use but was obviously well cared for. Lock time and trigger pull are exceptional. Other than the lock, there are no other markings. Can anyone from our esteemed and learned group venture a maker? I know Curly Gostomski made left handed trade guns as well as Chief’s Grade Guns. There is currently an original Chief’s Grade trade gun on GB (with Brit stamp) that is very similar.

Attachments

• DF4D2E59-205F-4CB0-AC63-B279C57DAEA4.jpeg
    DF4D2E59-205F-4CB0-AC63-B279C57DAEA4.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 2A4A9369-F084-441F-B2D4-54D68646B0CB.jpeg
    2A4A9369-F084-441F-B2D4-54D68646B0CB.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • C92C90AC-C86E-46DF-9E55-2D8783A2F9E1.jpeg
    C92C90AC-C86E-46DF-9E55-2D8783A2F9E1.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 24C7D08D-91F3-4AA0-AF95-02D080881CBB.jpeg
    24C7D08D-91F3-4AA0-AF95-02D080881CBB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • EF6C79C7-38AE-447E-B49A-AF6B13A59478.jpeg
    EF6C79C7-38AE-447E-B49A-AF6B13A59478.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Can’t say but it sure reminds me of some photos of guns that Curlyy showed us when he was down here.
Looks real nicetoo.
Dear C Boy If its one of his the lock looks like the Dixie Ketland good locks if worked up I wonder if its the one I got up for Gene Mayer of Greenville seemed to recall he was a left hander though if it was it would have keys and a rifled barrel went with it better pics might pin it down .I don't think HE made many he was more the jigs tool & fixtures man & most guns where farmed out ' in the white' or finished .or just the kit as they came ,
Rudyard
PS
Just brought it up no not one of mine R

I used much' Anglisized Silers ' His preference . Agree re stampeing or engraveing maybe . neither where correct any way the three originals show that well . But will serve well enough if you can't get the right shaped ones .
Regards Rudyard

At a small gun show last week, I did a little horse trading and came away with the Chief’s Grade Indian Trade Gun pictured. The bore is like a mirror, .62 caliber and the barrel is 41” long. The left hand lock shows the sitting fox, boar‘s head with horn and British stamp. It weighs 6.2 pounds (including the sling) and handles beautifully. It shows considerable use but was obviously well cared for. Lock time and trigger pull are exceptional. Other than the lock, there are no other markings. Can anyone from our esteemed and learned group venture a maker? I know Curly Gostomski made left handed trade guns as well as Chief’s Grade Guns. There is currently an original Chief’s Grade trade gun on GB (with Brit stamp) that is very similar.
I have a Curly that I got recently, not a Chief's, thought. Guys on here helped me ID it as a Curly. It largely appeared un-fired or used little. You've got a real gem there, I can't believe how light weight mine is, about like yours. Good luck! Mine's a .72 with bbl. a bit longer than yours. Mine's right hand.

Very nice firearm.

Latest posts

Back