• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

chicken livers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love fried chicken livers and I'm sitting here reading about their great catfishing bait quality and I use them for "whisker fish" also, but you guys should stop and think what a catfish eats. Now that will gag a maggot!....... :rotf:

Rick

Actually CHANNEL CATS are mostly PREDATORS. = I've dressed many a channel cat & have ever yet to find much of anything in their stomach except insects & small fish.
(Btw, the channel cats will often hit an artificial bait. = The BIGGEST "forktail" that I ever caught hit in water about 2 feet deep & on a Rapala in "minnow color".)

Larger FLATHEADS & BLUES seldom eat anything that is NOT still alive. Blues will SOMETIMES hit a "cut bait" made of fish.
(That's why live perch, crawfish or goldfish are the BEST baits for those species.)

yours, satx

Jethro224 said:
Now, from Baltimore south beef liver with bacon, onions, and [strike]a[/strike] [strike] little Heinz ketchup [/strike] [strike]side of grits[/strike] wallpaper paste with lead paint chips -- that's food for men!

:stir: :stir:

Yep. I love chicken livers, BUT I would trade them for a good blue crab feast any day. We don't get really good crab in Montana but recently Wife and I were in a Missoula restaurant and ordered crab cakes. They were super. Asked the waitress if she knew what kind of crab it was, she said we have blue crab from Maryland flown in daily.

Alden said:
Damn but you people are heathens.

Now beef liver with bacon, onions, and a little Heinz ketchup -- that's food for men!

Ketchup? Ketchup??!! Now thou artst the true heathen! Keep this up and I will smite thee about the helm and breastplate! :slap: :rotf:

I know Wes, but a little ketchup does have a place and it's SO good here. Screw John D-student Kerry and his liberal Heinz-fortune wife, but her forbears created some good stuff for that meal right there. That'd have to be BEFORE they ate grits by the way.

sidelock said:
We don't get really good crab in Montana but recently Wife and I were in a Missoula restaurant and ordered crab cakes. They were super. Asked the waitress if she knew what kind of crab it was, she said we have blue crab from Maryland flown in daily.

Where did you find crab cakes in Missoula?

The RED BIRD. A great place to eat. We eat in the wine bar rather than in the dinning room. If you would like to join us there PM me. But we have sold our home and are moving back to VA soon.(eat your hearts out folks who would like to wake up looking at 100 elk and deer in your front yard).

Black Hand said:
sidelock said:
We don't get really good crab in Montana but recently Wife and I were in a Missoula restaurant and ordered crab cakes. They were super. Asked the waitress if she knew what kind of crab it was, she said we have blue crab from Maryland flown in daily.

Where did you find crab cakes in Missoula?
I heard tell of Rocky Mountain oyster, There aint a rocky mountain crab is there? I know it can get a little chilly up there...thus you gots them blue crabs????
Just teasing, Had a seafood place in Mountain home Arkansas and they sold fresh Mihe mihe,tuna oysters and mussels, wonders of airplanes

Alden said:
I know Wes, but a little ketchup does have a place and it's SO good here. Screw John D-student Kerry and his liberal Heinz-fortune wife, but her forbears created some good stuff for that meal right there. That'd have to be BEFORE they ate grits by the way.
Sure it does...but what most seem not to understand is ketchup, mayo and mustard are condiments...not main ingredients! :wink: There are places for it and places for it not to be...like on top of spaghetti sauce!! That's just wrong! :rotf:

As for the inevitable grit dispute...thou arts still a heathen!

Understood.

Similarly, MILK & SUGAR do NOT belong on/in grits. = Saturday AM I was traveling to an antique Ford truck event & stopped at a diner for breakfast. A couple from "way up there" (maybe NY from their grating accent) each were served a bowl of grits with their eggs.
The couple covered the grits with sugar & poured milk over the top, stirred/tasted that "concoction" & then opined LOUDLY that "this stuff is terrible".
(I just HAD to LOL.)

yours, satx

Why do people have to be loud about a food that doesn't meet their experience or like? This seems to be especially true when exposed to something that is outside their comfort zone or in a local that is different. They seem to have to make a judgement about the local preferences. I didn't grow up eating grits. They are okay, but nothing special to me either.

Now, I did grow up eating pancakes almost every day for breakfast. I do consider myself an expert on how "I" like my pancakes.

Fwiw, the folks from the NE that seem to "Winter" in TX/Dixie seem to be afflicted with a "superiority complex" and an unhealthy compulsion to "make clever comments" about how "stupid, uneducated & prejudiced" that southerners are in their opinion.

I also note that most seem to be REALLY LOUD-spoken in making their SELF-important/mean-spirited comments.

InVho, IF you cannot restrain yourself from being nasty, hateful & judgmental of things that you don't know/understand that you should just STAY HOME & "mind your mush".

yours, satx

Well Kansas, ya see, there IS a right and a wrong. Good and bad. Love and hate. Light and darkness. Up and down. North and South. Ready? Now watch for it... Pancakes coated in butter with warm maple syrup dripping off of them onto strips of crisp bacon, and then there's grits. Get it now!?

Fwiw, I really like pancakes but dripping with butter & RIBBON-CANE SYRUP from a one-mule-driven mill just north of Lufkin, TX.
The owner grows his own cane, grinds/processes it into cane-juice, then cooks it down over charcoal in a copper kettle into syrup, strains the syrup, puts it up in 2 quart "pop-top" tin cans & finally sells it out of the back of his pickup truck at the county's farmer's market. = That is FINE tasting stuff. - I don't like maple syrup btw.
(Each year for the last nearly 1/4 century, I've bought numerous cans of his homemade syrup & sent them out of state to Army buddies as Christmas/Chanukah gifts. - I've also used it to make an old-style "countrified" rum.)

yours, satx

I, too, love them. I buy them at our local grocery store. Just recently, I bought a Fry Daddy and it seems to do a better job of frying them than a skillet. Every once in a while, I will buy some livers and gizzards and batter and fry them along with some home cut French fries. I have found that if I simmer the gizzards in some chicken broth for a while before battering and frying them they will cook up better in the Fry Daddy, nice and golden brown on the outside and nice and tender on the inside. The French fries are done in my Fry Daddy separately, of course since they have different frying times. It makes a mighty fine meal.

Oh, and my electric Fry Daddy is the HC model just like George Washington's. :haha:

Back