• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

cherry wood renagade stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
getting the last finishing done on a cheery wood renagade stock for a customer. lots of grain, and really nice. now onto the barrel and lock and butt plate to rust black them. it will be a one of a kind and nice to look at also.

What is "rust black"?
Usually, rust black is what rust brown turns into when it is boiled in water.

There are several kinds of rust. The red rust which is soft, flaky and easily rubbed off is worse than useless on a gun.
Then there is the hard brown rust called Ferrous Oxide which is not only hard but it will keep oil against the metal to prevent further rusting. Firearms use this type of rust to protect them.
The hard black rust called Ferro-Ferric Oxide is similar to the brown rust in that it will keep oil against the metal to prevent further rusting. This is the form of rust commonly called "Bluing".

As I mentioned, if the brown rust on a steel part is boiled in water before it is oiled there is a chemical reaction that changes it from brown to black. This can also be done by steaming the brown rust.

The "bluing" Colt and Smith & Wesson were famous for was sometimes done with this steaming method of converting the browning to bluing.

Cherry is a super wood so did you carve any of the gun? The wood works like a charm. Not a ML but I had a 1919 Swede that shot so good it needed a custom stock. I had cherry planks chainsawed from one that fell. I made the stock and it took checkering like no other. Cheap camera so some are fuzzy.
100_1277.jpg
100_1276.jpg
100_1279.jpg

no carving. the customer chose cherry because it last forever and dose not warp. it has good grain. i will post pictures when i can and it is mostly done. got to get that trigger made to work to day then can finish the stock then rust brown the metal.

This gun does not exist. Only pictures will convince me otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back