• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cherry Stocks: Traditional Long Rifle Finishes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper Scott

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Cherry stock finish experiments.
Diluted Lye mix had the most dramatic effect (one teaspoon to 15 ounces of tap water). Tru-oil darkened the wood, but it lack the red tint I was hoping for. Ammonia vapors after about 24 hours darkened the wood slightly when compared to the untreated raw wood example. Note; the lye mixture was only after one treatment and was quickly neutralized with vinegar.
Thoughts or advice?

Attachments

• experiment cherry wood finishes 1.jpg
    experiment cherry wood finishes 1.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 22
I'm not sure what it is you're going for. A much darker color, perhaps? Keep experimenting. I'll be interested in what you finally come up with

I'm not sure what it is you're going for. A much darker color, perhaps? Keep experimenting. I'll be interested in what you finally come up with
I'm thinking about a shade or two darker than what the lye pictures show. It brings out the red tint much better than the others and I wanted to use something that the original gun makers may have used. I know there isn't much documented for finishes for the 17th and 18th centuries except leaving them in the white. I'll keep experimenting and posting my progress.

Prepare to get excited!
I increased the lye concentration a bit, then did as you suggested with the heat gun and I can't believe the difference. Much darker and richer in color. The picture in the center is untreated cherry from the same piece and the one on the right was treated with beeswax. Thanks again

Attachments

• experiment cherry wood finishe lye.jpg
    experiment cherry wood finishe lye.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 0
  • experiment cherry wood finishes with beeswax.jpg
    experiment cherry wood finishes with beeswax.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
More testing on cherry wood today. I tried Permalyn, a lighter application of lye wash, and beeswax on the lye wash from yesterday. I did blush the lye wash with a heat gun. I also used a mixture of shellac and alcohol on another piece per some random YT video I ran across in a feeble attempt to mask blotchy spots for staining, but couldn't seem to get it to work out. The shellac prevented lye and an oil-based stain from penetrating the wood. So far, it appears the lye wash provides the best color change with red tint.

Attachments

• experiment cherry wood finiah 4.jpg
    experiment cherry wood finiah 4.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 0
Thanks! What is the lye-to-water ratio that you use?
The first test piece I used was one teaspoon of lye to 15 ounces of water which did color but not as much as I had hoped. I upped the ante by an extra teaspoon to the previous mixture and started getting darker results. The key to getting a deeper red color is to blush the wood with a heat gun like Rich Pierce suggested.

The first test piece I used was one teaspoon of lye to 15 ounces of water which did color but not as much as I had hoped. I upped the ante by an extra teaspoon to the previous mixture and started getting darker results. The key to getting a deeper red color is to blush the wood with a heat gun like Rich Pierce suggested.
Thanks again. Definetly something to try. I appreciate this a lot :thumb:

Thanks again. Definetly something to try. I appreciate this a lot :thumb:
You are welcome. There is a lot of information on the subject with most having their own special twist to what works for them. I'm just playing around with it to hopefully find a shade I like good enough for my Kibler SMR build. Good luck.

You are welcome. There is a lot of information on the subject with most having their own special twist to what works for them. I'm just playing around with it to hopefully find a shade I like good enough for my Kibler SMR build. Good luck.
I’ve been getting nice results with dyes but always looking to learn new things. Thanks

Back