• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cherry Southern Guns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will find the red, gray, and white fiber sanding pads will be beneficial to getting the final smooth wood surface for final finishing before applying your top coat.

When I brown the metal parts, I use my car as the heating chamber. You will get about 130 degrees Fahrenheit in your car. Makes for a dark and even brown. Better than using your shower as a humidity chamber.

Smokey,
If we had such a thing as ”post of the year”, I’d nominate yours.
Please take lots of pictures and share your project with us. I’m excited for you!!
Smokey, i stocked a newfangled rifle that cant be mentioned here in a mannliker(sp) full length cherry. In my eyes it was beautifull. Though after 8-10 years i had to bed the barrel to stop creep to the left. Cherry works easy, checkers/carves well. Go man go!

Awesome, thank you guys!

Here are two rifles that I finished. Well, the Derringer is left in the white to acquire the gray patina. The Harper's Ferry has a browned barrel that I used my van as the browning oven. I used Track's True Brown as the barrel finish. I used cold blue on the lock as specified in the Harper's Ferry finish requirements.

Derringer and HF1803.JPG

Thanks all! I am a bit torn as to what I want the metal finish to be, but probably not browned. I’d like to do slow rust bluing where the browned parts are boiled, but am not sure if I can get away with that in my apartment!

I am investigating the various aged “grayed” type finishes people have used, that might look really nice with the cherry especially after it ages some. The rifle I posted earlier in this thread looks very nice with that aged metal finish.

I apologize in advance for all the advice I’ll be asking for guys! I know to use the search function as well. Thanks!!

Well maybe... just this one time... even though I am a traditionalist (hence why I asked this question to begin with) I might go ahead and just do it.

Cherry is calling my name. i now know it is not the correct wood for the style, and some don’t like it at all. But I don’t know... I think even if I went with a historically correct choice I’d be pining for the cherry stock, and an SMR is all that’s on the radar right now for the moment.

In the military we have a term now called “just send it bro” where you do something without overthinking it and sometimes going with your gut. Right now, I’m thinkin’ about just sendin’ it...
the fact that we don’t know of a surviving cherry stocked SMR is meaningless. What that proves is 1) it may never been done2) it was rare. We can’t prove 1 because we do not have every SMR ever made. 2 explains why we don’t have one.
No matter how close we try to reproduce any thing from the past we fail at some point. Even if we went to the extreme to point it out. Few of us have bench copies of an original.
My TFC is on maple, my SMR has a German lock, my Lancaster smooth rifle is a great job for a twelve year old apprentice.
Go with cherry cause it’s pretty and unusual and it pleases you. No one will ever say any thing except ‘wow, that’s a pretty gun”.
Well all most no one.
On the bottom of most rifles at the toe is a toe plate. The purpose of this little bit of metal is to prevent the stock from chipping when you use the toe of the gun to silence a critic.

I am going to buy a Kibler’s Southern Mountain flintlock kit and have been curiously drawn to 🍒 wood for the stock.

Everybody and his brother has a 🍁 stock and they are so beautiful of course, but I love the fact how cherry ages gracefully over time and just think it’s pretty great looking! I live in Las Vegas and we have a ton of☀all year round and it shouldn’t take long to age naturally to a nice color. I would not be using any lye or other surface treatments for this reason, and think it’d be fun to watch it darken over time. Kind of like watching Sea Monkeys grow up but way cooler!

But was it ever actually used on a Southern Mountain type rifle? Thanks! 😃

-Smokey
Cliff from Organ. I. Got the walnut but it came damaged so they replaced it with a ex fancy maple awesome the kit is excellent.

Attachments

• 20191026_092938.jpg
    20191026_092938.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 133
I am investigating the various aged “grayed” type finishes people have used, that might look really nice with the cherry especially after it ages some. The rifle I posted earlier in this thread looks very nice with that aged metal finish.

I agree, an "aged" finish on the iron parts would look good with the cherry stock... Or with maple, walnut, butternut, pecan....

Your best source for information on how to proceed might be Mr. Kibler himself. He has mastered metal finishing, along with every other aspect of his craft.

If you go to Mr. Kibler's homepage, look at the top bar and select "Store." From the drop down, select "Finishing Solutions." Check out his "Patina Solution." His description makes it sound very user-friendly.

I've been thinking of getting some to try on knife blades.

Sorry I can't post a direct link, but I'm on my wife's iPad, and I've only learned how to do the most rudimentary functions.

Notchy Bob

Back