• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cherry Bounce

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
just started my newest batch of Martha Washington’s cherry bounce

2lb cherries, pitted if you want, poked a few times if you don’t
5c sugar
1.75 bourbon of your choice

Put the sugar in a gallon glass jar, add some bourbon and stir to start dissolving the sugar. Add poked washed cherries. Pour over the remaining bourbon. Stir. Place in a sunny spot for a week, stirring daily to get the rest of the sugar to dissolve. Put in a cool dark area for 40 days minimum to allow fruit to ferment and everything to get happy. Enjoy!!

Oh, indeed, Cherry Bounce is beverage to enjoy. So many variants, all so good.

Don't drink too much at one time. It sneaks up on you. Then when you try to stand instead you bounce.

I use three pounds of black cherries, pitted and juiced. 3 to 4 cups of sugar and 0.75 liter of brandy. Then I may add water to make three 0.75 liter bottles of bounce.

Yours sounds bouncier.

I think so! I enjoy them both. In a little bit when the plums hit the store, i'll be making slivovitz also. Another super good one

I've heard of bounce but never seen it or consumed it. So, it's just cherries, sugar and bourbon? I must say if I tried that, I'd be bouncing!, off walls, the floor, and whatever the wife was beating me with! Thanks for the recipe, it really makes the forum more interesting! Geo.

just started my newest batch of Martha Washington’s cherry bounce

2lb cherries, pitted if you want, poked a few times if you don’t
5c sugar
1.75 bourbon of your choice

Put the sugar in a gallon glass jar, add some bourbon and stir to start dissolving the sugar. Add poked washed cherries. Pour over the remaining bourbon. Stir. Place in a sunny spot for a week, stirring daily to get the rest of the sugar to dissolve. Put in a cool dark area for 40 days minimum to allow fruit to ferment and everything to get happy. Enjoy!!

So good to have you back here posting again. And leading us into temptation....
Any particular bourbon or type of bourbon better for this than others?

My mom made it, but she used vodka rather than whiskey or bourbon. I remember many my grandmother leaning over the porch rail many years ago on one holiday after too much bounce and Akavit. Then she took a long nap on the couch. Grandma was a small woman and tried to keep up with her young grandsons as we celebrated. I think she stayed away from it after that.

A lady in my unit actually makes it from the recipe from Mount Vernon.

10 lbs. Morello Cherries
4 cups brandy
3 cups sugar
2 Cinnamon sticks broken into pieces
2-3 whole cloves
1 piece of nutmeg

She pits and mashes the cherries, and adds the flesh of the fruit plus the juice to the jug with the rest of the ingredients. After she lets the stuff tincture for several weeks (the alcohol content is too high for anything to ferment), she then strains the contents of the jug and presses the fruit to get out most of the liquid.

It tastes a lot like Jolly Rancher cherry, soft chews, but it does sneak up and slap you pretty quick, too. ;)

I highly recommend that people experiment with it and similar drinks. One must ward off the scurvy!

OH I had some Shrub just the other day (same idea but orange juice and rum and sugar), and it's very different and much improved when you used fresh squeezed orange juice as your base instead of frozen concentrate!

Ingredients Count!

LD

I think I will have to give this a try. It is great that you post things like this!

I dont want to be a nit picker, but I dont think the fruit will ferment. The alcohol content is too high to allow that to happen. Now that does not mean that the cherries do not absorb the whiskey and taste better!

thanks

Fleener

The spices are not needed to make a good cordial. Add a little bit of water to get to three 750 ml bottles of bounce.

I make my Shrub from lemons. I like the more tangy taste of the lemons. Lemon drops with a punch. This is not to say that Orange shrub is inferior, any more than blackberry, blue berry (in Italy, blueberry shrub is called Mirtillo), or any other fruit blend infused in an alcohol tincture.

Might be time to reread the Shrub thread.

I have often wondered if period names for adult beverages came as a result of what they did to people?

If you drink too much of this, you will bounce off the floor.

If you drink too much of this, your guts will be twisted the next morning.

If you drink too much of this, you may flip off your chair.

If you drink too much of this the night before work day, we may need to carry you home in a sack or you may get sacked the next day at work.

If you drink too much of this, you may fall off the Port side of the boat or ship.

If you drink too much of this, you may fall into the Shrubbery.

Maybe my favorite is the mixture of rum and water mixed together and issued to British and American Sailors and Marines in the period. GROG !! This could be what it does the human brain, one of the noises that escapes the body, or what one acted like or looked like from drinking too much of it.

Gus

You left out...., Whistle Belly Vengeance which is very sour beer, warmed, with molasses added to sweeten it, OR Splitting Headache which is two quarts beer, 8 oz. rum, six cloves, plus cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger, and a cup of lime juice.

LD

Back