• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cherry Bounce

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some things I like but am only careful to consume it at special times. Apple pie was only some I would drink at an event. It's buckskin campfires and beeswax candles.

With a name like that it has to be good

Well there was a drink called Whistle Belly Vengeance, and there are these:

Splitting Headache
Two quarts ale
1 cup 90+ proof rum
1 cup lime juice
1/2 tspn nutmeg
1/2 tspn ginger
1/2 tspn cinnamon
6 cloves

Rattle Skull

1 Shot Brandy
1 Shot Rum
4 Shots Sweet Sherry
1 Pint of Porter

Remember that "back in the day" the horse might know the way home, and the traffic-cop had not yet been invented..., so just stay in the saddle and you'd be fine.

LD

Black Hand said:
Shrub Recipe
Wash well 3 oranges, 3 lemons and 3 limes (I scrub them with dish-soap and rinse well). Cut in half (along the equator), squeeze/juice (a fork works well) and add rinds to the juice. Pour 1 bottle of white rum (I use Mr Boston, 1 liter) over the rinds/juice and allow to soak in the fridge for several days (I've done 3-5 days, but you could go longer). Re-squeeze all the rinds and discard. Add water and sugar to taste (my version adds 3 cups water and 3/4 -1 cup sugar), stir occasionally until the sugar has dissolved and pour into bottles. Store in the fridge and enjoy. The shrub tastes even better if it has a few weeks (or more) to age, but is delicious immediately.

Vary citrus additions (and amounts) to the recipe according to your taste.

This forum keeps proving just how useful it can be in addition to being fun.
My wife works part time for a boutique winery and tasting bar (Italian meats, flavored oils, cheeses, etc.) The owner was looking for a shrub recipe. That same night as you posted this I gave a copy to my wife. She will be making some soon. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Rifleman1776 said:
Black Hand said:
Shrub Recipe
Wash well 3 oranges, 3 lemons and 3 limes (I scrub them with dish-soap and rinse well). Cut in half (along the equator), squeeze/juice (a fork works well) and add rinds to the juice. Pour 1 bottle of white rum (I use Mr Boston, 1 liter) over the rinds/juice and allow to soak in the fridge for several days (I've done 3-5 days, but you could go longer). Re-squeeze all the rinds and discard. Add water and sugar to taste (my version adds 3 cups water and 3/4 -1 cup sugar), stir occasionally until the sugar has dissolved and pour into bottles. Store in the fridge and enjoy. The shrub tastes even better if it has a few weeks (or more) to age, but is delicious immediately.

My wife works part time for a boutique winery and tasting bar (Italian meats, flavored oils, cheeses, etc.) The owner was looking for a shrub recipe. That same night as you posted this I gave a copy to my wife. She will be making some soon. Thanks. :thumbsup:
I'll be expecting Royalty payments.... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Rifleman1776 said:
Black Hand said:
Shrub Recipe

Wife made a batch last night using white wine instead of rum. I tasted a bit right after she mixed. Very tasty and refreshing. She thinks it need some mint to brighten up the flavors and will add. It is not a cheap drink to make considering the fruit and booze but an interesting party drink.

Rifleman1776 said:
Wife made a batch last night using white wine instead of rum. I tasted a bit right after she mixed. Very tasty and refreshing. She thinks it need some mint to brighten up the flavors and will add. It is not a cheap drink to make considering the fruit and booze but an interesting party drink.
What you describe is not Shrub. Delicious - yes. Shrub - no...

Black Hand said:
Rifleman1776 said:
What you describe is not Shrub. Delicious - yes. Shrub - no...

Yep. Wine, not rum. But it wasn't lacking in the 'zing' department.

What you're describing is a white sangria. A little bit of a misnomer since sangria is based on red wine and named because of the red color being similar to blood (sangre).

My daughter had some last night at the local Olive Garden, but it was with oranges and strawberries, and a white wine.

LD

According to Wikipedia,
Spanish Rioja red wine is traditional, dating back to the 18th century... Sangria blanca (sangria with white wine) is a more recent innovation.

Came across this today....

The Anglo-Irish author Jonathan Swift (1667-1745), who also wrote Gulliver's travels (1726), describes what one did with oranges in the eighteenth century in his Verses Made for Fruit Women. They went in sauce for veal, in brown ale to bring it up to taste, they were roasted and mixed with wine and sugar, and drunk as 'sweet bishop':

Come buy my fine oranges, sauce for your veal,
And charming, when squeezed in a pot of brown ale;
Well roasted, with sugar and wine in a cup,
They'll make a sweet bishop when gentlefolks sup

The earliest recipe I could find for Smoking Bishop appears in Apician Morsels ”“ Tales of the table, kitchen and larder by Dick Humelbergius Secundus (1829). This Georgian era book also contains a bit of history on the beverage:

Among the ”˜Oxford night-caps’ bishop appears to be one of the oldest winter beverages on record, and to this very day is preferred to every other, not only by the youthful votary of Bacchus, at his evening revelry, but also by the grave Don by way of a nightcap. It is not improbable that this celebrated drink, equally known to our continental neighbours under the somewhat similar name of bischof, derived its name from the circumstance of ancient dignitaries of the church, when they honoured the university with a visit, being regaled with spiced wine.

Apician Morsels
http://www.amazon.com/Apician-Morsels-Tales-Kitchen-Larder/dp/1449439292?tag=theshiintheki-20

Original Bishop

Warm spiced bishop wine is a popular drink (for adults, of course) at the Dutch feast of Saint Nicholas. In the United Kingdom bishop is a popular drink around Christmas, at least in the second half of the nineteenth century. At the close of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol (1846), a jolly Scrooge promises the flabbergasted Bob Cratchit improved working conditions with "a Christmas bowl of smoking bishop" (see the picture at the top). But actually December is very early in the season for Seville oranges.

Originally, this spiced wine was prepared with roasted oranges or lemons. Maybe this caused the drink to be named Bishop: in her entertaining book Ladyfingers and Nun's Tummies, Martha Barnette states that in the North of England the expression to bishop something means 'to burn something' (in this case, the orange or lemon). But the explanation most often mentioned for smoke is the steam rising from the warm wine.

Bishop was also a popular drink on the European continent. In eighteenth-century Germany there even were special serving vessels in the shape of a bishop's mitre. On the right you see a beautiful example from 1767 (source). The oldest Dutch recipes mention 'gebraaden bittere oranje-appelen' (roasted bitter oranges, Chomel, 1768), or 'gele oranjeappelen' (yellow oranges) that are roasted on a rack (Maria Haezebroek, Keukenboek, 2nd edition, 1852). The wine is sweetened with sugar or honey, spiced with cinnamon and cloves, and diluted with water. Oranges were expensive, but in the eighteenth century you could already buy ready-made 'essence of bishop' to bring wine quickly to taste.
Many cookbooks offer recipes for Cardinal (with rhine wine or champagne and maraschino) and even Pope (with sweet wine). A modern Dutch version can be found here (in Dutch, I hope to offer a translation soon).

Last edited by a moderator:
The original recipe
This is the recipe from Apician morsels; or Tales of the Table, Kitchen and Larder by Dick Humelbergius Secundus (pseud., 1829) pp.308/309. (online edition). He too ends his recipe with the verses of Swift. A translation does not seem necessary.

Receipt, or recipe, to make bishop
Make several incisions into the rind of a lemon; stick cloves in these incisions, and roast the said lemon by the fire. Put small but equal quantities of cinnamon, mace, cloves, and all-spice, and a race of ginger, into a saucepan, with half a pint of water; let it boil until it be reduced one half. Boil one bottle of port wine; burn a portion of the spirit out of it, by applying a lighted paper to the saucepan which contains it. Put the roasted lemons and spice into the wine; stir it up well, and let it stand near the fire ten minutes. Rub a few nobs of sugar on the rind of a lemon; put the sugar into a bowl or jug, with the juice of half a lemon, (not roasted) pour the wine upon it, sweeten it to your taste, and serve it up with the lemon and spice floating in it.
Oranges, although not used in bishop, at Oxford, are, as will appear by the following lines, written by Swift, sometimes introduced into that beverage:

"Fine oranges,
Well roasted, with sugar and wine in a cup,
They'll make a sweet bishop when gentlefolks sup"

Modern adaptation of the recipe
Because I loved to use them, I used 'Swift's version' for the bishop, but lemons are also excellent. The drink really warms you from the inside. Smoking bishop has a subtle taste, more complex than 'ordinary' bishop when the oranges are not roasted in advance.
For about 8 deciliter/1.5 pint, or 8 port glasses; preparation in advance 10 minutes; preparation 40 minutes.

Smoking bishopIngredients
1 bitter orange( or lemon)
juice of 1/2 bitter orange
150 gram (3/4 cup + 1 Tbsp) sugar
1 cinnamon stick
5 cloves + extra to stick into the bitter orange
5 allspice berries
1 small piece mace
1 slice fresh ginger
1 bottle red Port wine (I used Tawny Port)
2,5 deciliter (1 cup) water

Preparation in advance
Pour boiling water over the Seville orange or lemon to remove the wax layer.
Cut a decorative pattern in the rind, stick some cloves in the incisions.
Squeeze one half Seville orange.

Preparation
Place the Seville orange on an oven shelf in the middle of a warm oven (170 oC/340 oF) and roast it until the orange has turned a light brown, about thirty minutes.
'Spiced' waterTake an ovenproof pan, pour in water and add spices. Bring to the boil and reduce the water to 1/8 liter (1/2 cup). Add Port wine and the still hot Seville orange. Put the lid on and place the pan ten minutes in the oven at 120 oC/250 oF.
Combine sugar and orange juice in a heatproof bowl, and add the contents of the pan (spices and orange included).

To serve
This drink should be served really hot, so use glasses that are heatproof! As soon as your lips can stand it you can drink the Smoking Bishop.
Because of the added water and the heating of the wine, this Bishop will contain less alcohol than the Port wine it was made from. But still, be careful because this warm drink can still intoxicate!

Ingredients
All descriptions of ingredients

Allspice or Jamaica Pepper - This is one of the spices that Columbus took to Europe from his second voyage to America (1493-1496). It is called 'allspice' because it tastes like a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove. 'Jamaica pepper' refers to the original place of origin. The spice is the dried, unripe fruit of the Pimenta dioicia. Allspice is used in European recipes from the sixteenth century onward.
ClovesClove - Cloves are the unopened flower buds of the Syzygium aromaticum, a plant that originally only grew on the Maluku Islands (the 'spice Islands, Indonesia). Their shape reminded the Dutch of nails, hence the name 'kruidnagel' (spice nail). A 'nail' from the 17th/18th century (source Pietdejutter.nl)The English clove, which does not seem to have any connection with nails, derived from the French clou (de girofle), which also means 'nail'.
The negotiation in cloves has been turbulent. During the Middle Ages, Arabs bought the spice from local producers and sold it in Europe. In 1514 the Portugueze conquered the Maluku Islands and for a century they hold the monopoly on cloves. The Dutch pinched the islands in the beginning of the seventeenth century and introduced draconic measures (death penalty) to prevent the growing of cloves anywhere outside of Ambon. In 1770 the very aptly named Frenchman Pierre Poivre succeeded in breaking the monopoly on cloves (and nutmeg/mace) by stealing some plants and transferring them to Mauritius and later Madagascar.

Back