• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cherokee maxi ball load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am having trouble getting my T/C 45. caliber Cherokee to group at 50 yards. The barrel is in good condition and I am a ok shot so I am guessing it’s the load.

I am shooting pyrodex P, tried 70,60 and 50 grs, using a 245gr maxi ball lubed with T/C bore butter.

Got some 255gr maxi balls coming from Dixie gun works.

Several shots I tried a wool wad but didn’t seem to help.

any suggestions?

I would try something other than the bore butter, I use a heavier lube made of tallow,bees wax and olive oil with excellent accuracy in my .45 seneca with 60g fffg and a maxi. Just to test, I shot the same rifle/load with bore butter, and it shot all over at 100yd. Back to my lube, and back down to 3"-4" groups. Lots of people have good luck with bore butter, and lots don't, worth a try.

I’ve never had any problems using bore-butter. First thing I’d check is the barrel to stock/tang fit for any play or looseness.

Its all tight or appears to be, i checked that and sights on range yesterday.

I am getting about a 8” group at 50.

Just got notified mt dixie bullets will be here tomorrow. Hopefully I will get back out soon.

The last shot of the day i was able to bust a gallon milk jug at 100 yards but that may have been total luck from my 50 yard groups.

The Bore Butter is thin. Try Lee Liquid Alox. It is a tumble lube. Put your bullets in a bowl and squirt a little LA on them and swish them around until you have good coverage. Let them dry some before use.

Bore Butter is made for lubing patches. It is thin so it works into the fibers easily. Check your barrel for leading. The BB is probably failing and causing your poor accuracy.

Stuff to ponder.
You need to expand the hind end of the bullet sufficiently (and quickly enough) to minimize gas cutting.
If the rear end of the bullet is too small as compared to the bore then it will have too much expanding to do.
The lube needs to keep that rear end from rubbing away on the barrel wall. It needs to flow under the acceleration force from the powder charge, into the barrel wall ahead of that soft rear band that is being deformed by the applied pressure.
Cards and felt wads act as physical barriers to gas cutting. An over powder card and then a thick enough felt wad soaked with a firm lube is just about as good as it gets unless you go to a thick fiber wad.

All that and five dollars will get you a cup of coffee and may not help your Cherokee a bit. It's always a matter of what works for a particular piece. By the way, on a Cherokee I bought new in the early 80's the rear sight would move from left to right and posed a problem.

you are using pistol powder in that rifle. maybe rifle powder RS might be better. but I think it could be the twist rate. I never found maxi balls to be that good. if Lee makes a REAL bullet mold for a 45 I would try that. I had good luck with them

Back