• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cheek rest or no was usual

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have often wondered, not really being into long rifles, were many early [1790-1820] rifles made without check rests or were they pretty standard?

Our rifles were the grand children of German rifles. They the children of Wheelock rifles that were placed on a s shaped stock and was not made to be shouldered.
These guns needed a cheek rest least they punish the shooter face. That cheek rest went on to German hunting rifles and then American guns.
Even french muskets were oft fitted with them.
Until rifles were massed produced it was rare for an American rifle not to have one.
We do see the change from German style to beaver tail in the nineteenth century.

Our rifles were the grand children of German rifles. They the children of Wheelock rifles that were placed on a s shaped stock and was not made to be shouldered.
These guns needed a cheek rest least they punish the shooter face. That cheek rest went on to German hunting rifles and then American guns.
Even french muskets were oft fitted with them.
Until rifles were massed produced it was rare for an American rifle not to have one.
We do see the change from German style to beaver tail in the nineteenth century.
Thanks Tenngun. My education continues. :ThankYou:

Back