• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Checking out a Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stony Broke

32 Cal.
Reaction score
So I was at a muzzleloading match last sunday, and ended up buying this TC .50 Hawken from one of the guys. It is an old kit gun that hasn't been treated kindly in it's lifetime, but I disassembled it and worked on cleaning up and adjusting things until it seems workable. I loaded it up and took it to the woods with me this morning, and ended up shooting this little sow. With only 45 gr. of 3f and a prb, it completely penetrated the hog and down she went. I still have some more to do to the rifle, but it looks like it's workable.
9sD5hIyl.jpg

So I was at a muzzleloading match last sunday, and ended up buying this TC .50 Hawken from one of the guys. It is an old kit gun that hasn't been treated kindly in it's lifetime, but I disassembled it and worked on cleaning up and adjusting things until it seems workable. I loaded it up and took it to the woods with me this morning, and ended up shooting this little sow. With only 45 gr. of 3f and a prb, it completely penetrated the hog and down she went. I still have some more to do to the rifle, but it looks like it's workable.
9sD5hIyl.jpg

It's making meat, that is all that counts.

Maybe 35-40 yards. Not a long shot, but I just considered it a lucky shot since I haven't even put it on paper yet and have no idea where it is shooting. I have lots of muzzleloaders around here, but this is just another one to play with.
Nothing wrong with a meat gun.
How far was the shot?

Maybe 35-40 yards. Not a long shot, but I just considered it a lucky shot since I haven't even put it on paper yet and have no idea where it is shooting. I have lots of muzzleloaders around here, but this is just another one to play with.
Lucky shot then. At least take it to the range and sight it in once or twice. If not your next shot on a game animal may result in a lost cripple. Not the most ethical way to hunt.

Lucky shot then. At least take it to the range and sight it in once or twice. If not your next shot on a game animal may result in a lost cripple. Not the most ethical way to hunt.
Guess you're probably right...maybe my hog shooting isn't as ethical as it should be. I'll practice some more and see if I can get the hang of it. Sometimes it leaves me a little befuddled....
YeB1gsHl.jpg

upload_2019-7-30_14-33-10.png
When you are done or tired of shooting pigs, you need to take it to the range and make sure it is shooting straight. Are you sure you are hitting the pig you are aiming at and not the one next to it? Good shooting with your ‘baconator’.

That rifle is mostly one I picked up because the price was right and just another toy to have laying around to play with now and then. I think I will take it out to my range and see what Bacon will actually do. I shoot hogs with all kinds of guns, but every time I get a new muzzleloader it seems like a challenge to try it.

Latest posts

Back