• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cheating In Matches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A few months ago, I shot in a competition class that permitted us old guys to shoot sitting, if necessary, and to use peep sights as well as open sights. The sitting is necessary for me, but I chose to use a percussion rifle with a Redfield Olympia peep sight setup. Although it was permissible for me use the Olympia sights, I felt like I was cheating.
Had I won the shoot, I would have insisted that they set aside my name and put an asterisk after it, then awarded the prize to the next person in line.
With elbows on the table, using the Olympia peep sights, I put my first 2 practice shots in the bullseye. 2 of the first shots that counted were in the bullseye, the 3rd was very close. I could NEVER do that now when standing free shooting with open sites. That is why I was going to suggest the asterisk if I had won. As it turns out, I didn't finish the shoot. 4 hours in the sun at 95 degrees drained me and I had to stand down.
Ron

We had people for the 100 yard target put something on the target backstop a set distance above their target to act as an aiming post for judging hold over. I pulled it off when I went to hang my target.

We shoot paper and steel. We score the paper but the steel is hit or miss. I ask the folks to give their hit or miss sheet, x or o to someone to writedown but somw do not. Simple, put an "x" for a hit when it should be an "o". Think a woodswalk. Hit or miss. That is where I have seen it.
Me too. We generally make it a 'rule' that the shooter has no say in whether or not he/she scored a hit. It should be the consensus of the group. We had spme 'old buddies' who always shot together, and it was curious how much better they scored when nobody else was with them. When I was Booshway, I always made sure that there were a couple of others with them. Sad. We also had a fellow who shot his daughter's targets so she could win a provincial medal. They both got disqualified; Great parenting Dad!

Some times a guy needs a little help. I was at basic training in 1965 on the firing range for the last day. Those that fired expert got a weekend pass. The guy next to me got married the day before he got on the buss for basic and he needed a pass in the worst way! I talked to the guy on the other side of him before the match. we put enough shots on his target to get that pass. I never felt bad about that!

Curious… did you perhaps just jump down here to comment after reading the OP? Because I’ve sure seen lots of evidence presented in this thread… 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yes I read everyone's experiences, sorry if my question to the og was vague and made me look stupid i guess. The only shooting I've done is with family, never competition, just wanted to know. Seems like there are some folks out there who take winning too hard 😄 never did see a point in cheating.

Yes I read everyone's experiences, sorry if my question to the og was vague and made me look stupid i guess. The only shooting I've done is with family, never competition, just wanted to know. Seems like there are some folks out there who take winning too hard 😄 never did see a point in cheating.
I've shot in some form of competition all my shooting life and I enjoy it. Cheaters are no better than thieves because they're stealing what isn't theirs.

Years ago, two very good shooters took credit for a oxygen cylinder in a tree, about 200 yards away. They both claimed a hit. When I shot, it was a miss. My wife, with a new 50 caliber Lancaster, took aim and fired. A very satisfied ring was heard. I told the other two,” yours didn’t sound like that” but they kept there score

Why do folks have to cheat in matches? Folks are over 70 years old.

Folks will cheat, openly, to get a cheap medal.

It is not like we are shooting for Cadillacs.

Range Officers will ignore open cheating.

Thoughts and cures?
How does one cheat in a match? just wondering. And RO's should not be overlooking cheating. I personally, am "allergic" to anything labelled as "match" or "competition"; I just like plinking or simply enjoying the smoke, recoil, sound, (with ear protection!) but to each his own.

How does one cheat in a match? just wondering. And RO's should not be overlooking cheating. I personally, am "allergic" to anything labelled as "match" or "competition"; I just like plinking or simply enjoying the smoke, recoil, sound, (with ear protection!) but to each his own.
If the RO is not watching closely one might be able to get by using adjustable and/or peep sights in a fixed open sight match. I recall one guy who used to shoot in our Arkansas matches who didn't need to cheat, he was a great shot, but cheated regularly and cleverly be making tiny optical and magnifying sights. He would brace against posts and do many other things to give himself an advantage. Pity because even though he was a winner with scores, as a person he was a failure.

I've shot in some form of competition all my shooting life and I enjoy it. Cheaters are no better than thieves because they're stealing what isn't theirs.

It DIDN'T "make you look stupid" -- - it was a reasonable question, and explains one factor which adversely affects our sport. People who are determined to win at all costs drive the honest ones away.
Thank you for raising the matter --- and keep shooting!

Haha im sorry man i wasn't saying you made me look stupid I was saying I made myself look stupid lol this is funny. Its so crazy that people would go to the lengths listed just to win ya know. I've been thinking of entering some shoots myself but the only one I know about in my state is friendship. My local conservation club isn't accepting new members for whatever reason so its hard for me to get out and shoot. I live outside elwood indiana if anyone knows anybody.

Haha im sorry man i wasn't saying you made me look stupid I was saying I made myself look stupid lol this is funny. Its so crazy that people would go to the lengths listed just to win ya know. I've been thinking of entering some shoots myself but the only one I know about in my state is friendship. My local conservation club isn't accepting new members for whatever reason so its hard for me to get out and shoot. I live outside elwood indiana if anyone knows anybody.
I used to live in Shelbyville. Conner Prairie used to have shoots and I also shot with Blue River Long rifles. Those would probably be closest to you. Serval other good clubs that I shot with if you don't mind driving some. Go to the NMLRA web site and look at their club finder.

I used to live in Shelbyville. Conner Prairie used to have shoots and I also shot with Blue River Long rifles. Those would probably be closest to you. Serval other good clubs that I shot with if you don't mind driving some. Go to the NMLRA web site and look at their club finder.
Didn't know conner Prarie had shoots. My brother just moved back up north from greenfield. I basically just got started in muzzleloading, I built a traditions kentucky 50 cal this past winter. Been interested in black powder and american history ever since that first 5th grade field trip to 1812

Last edited:
I've never done rifle target shooting but this has made me recall when I was an early teen I was shooting smokeless shotgun clay target competition. In our squad was a guy known for apparently cheating. I as the youngest person was scoring when I called a miss on one of his shots. He turned and said he'd "dusted it" which means taken a small chip. I didn't want to argue with an adult so marked it as a hit. Clearly wasn't.

Don't recall if he won or lost.

I too am curious as to how guys cheat.
In our case we fire thirteen shots and score the best ten, and have thirty minutes to complete the course of fire. I am the range officer for our black powder shoots and can tell you that there is no way I can keep count of who has shot what. Some guys just keep shooting until they have 13 holes in target.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back