• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cheating In Matches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ninering62, I get what you're saying and don't disagree. I'm out there to have fun, and won't let an idiot ruin my day over something in the long run that isn't that important. Passive... maybe, but my blood pressure stays low ;)
I completely understand & respect your sentiments & perspective. I can't argue with it either. Well wishes

It's not cheating. I had shot a 5 shot, one hole group and brought it up to the scoring table. Five shots in one hole? Ha. I had taken a photo of each shot and each shot showed the hole getting a bit larger. On one shot the tiny shred of paper hanging in the group disappeared. I got my five shots scored.

I have also self-informed when I shoot the wrong target although the temptation to fudge is high. Bragging rights and the cheap medals are fun sort of, but so is knowing that you have posted an honest score.

I watch a lot of Black Powder maniac you Tube
The boy shoots a .480 in his .50, and all sorts of novilty targets.
He records his misses and flubs
We all want to be Hawkeye, but BPM has too much fun.
I follow his model, because woods walk for a blanket prize or an afternoon in the timber or the range I just want to have fun.
The only guy who cares about the prize is the guy that wins it
You know if you cheated so how much satisfaction can there be
And even the honest ‘blood shooter’ is out there practicing at least every week.
Sounds like a job, echk

I admire you guys that can let it go. If I catch someone cheating at anything I’ll make a scene. Doesn’t even matter if I’m competing. Can’t stand a cheater. Also, remember that age rarely has anything to do with it. Young idiots & cheaters get old just like the rest of us.

I've never seen a match where one could cheat. Could you explain how this happens?

In almost 50 years of shooting in formal events I've seen very little cheating. Most of the events have been conducted in a way that cheating is near impossible. In all of these, the shooting of additional shots to make up for off the paper shots is an acceptable practice. More than one though has gone forward to discover that what they thought was a miss actually nicked the edge of the paper. They lose the points of the highest scoring ball and get a zero for the one outside the rings. Now, consider this: what if a shooter misses the paper twice and shoots two additional to get five on the paper. Does anyone think this shooter is a contender? They are not, simple as that and they know right off that they aren't. He is shooting in the same skill level as others who must do the same to get five on the paper. Nobody has been cheated.

Same goes for the secret spotter. Apparently the only one at the shoot with optics? So, let everyone use optics. It's done at every shoot ive ever been to.

i have rarely seen cheating at a muzzleloader event. I have hear of those trying to "fatten" a hole to make it cross a line or "more than half way in." But I have never seen it. I shot a line shoot last year where I had an AD coming in from 12:00 and missed the target frame. When pulling targets, someone said I should fire another shot for score as there were only four shots on paper. That is not what I thought was right, as I shot five shots and only four hit the paper. But I have been at informal shoots where misses were not scored. It depends on the match and the level of competition.

In other realms of shooting competition, I have seen small bore shooters fire from prone on to a sitting target, or from kneeling on to an offhand target. but they were never in contention to start. Poor sportsmanship.

I once shot a pistol match (law enforcement) when a couple of shooters added 6s to my target "just for fun".

ADK Bigfoot

Last edited:
I also see a lot of accusations of cheating, but no explanations how the cheating is accomplished.

Has anyone ever tried using two paper targets and replacing the front one each shot with the back having the group?

No doubt shredding on the front probably would damage the back one.

I'm not a target shooter so couldn't say.

i have rarely seen cheating at a muzzleloader event. I have hear of those trying to "fatten" a hole to make it cross a line or "more than half way in." But I have never seen it. I shot a line shoot last year where I had an AD coming in from 12:00 and missed the target frame. When pulling targets, someone said I should fire another shot for score as there were only four shots on paper. That is not what I thought was right, as I shot five shots and only four hit the paper. But I have been at informal shoots where misses were not scored. It depends on the match and the level of competition.

In other realms of shooting competition, I have seen small bore shooters fire from prone on to a sitting target, or from kneeling on to an offhand target. but they were never in contention to start. Poor sportsmanship.

I once shot a pistol match (law enforcement) when a couple of shooters added 6s to my target "just for fun".

ADK Bigfoot
That's what's happening at our rimfire matches.

Has anyone ever tried using two paper targets and replacing the front one each shot with the back having the group?

No doubt shredding on the front probably would damage the back one.

I'm not a target shooter so couldn't say.
That is how an over the log match is shot. 10 different targets, one shot a piece.

Most of the ones I've seen wind up beating themselves. One guy had a 10X shooting jacket sewn inside a Denim jacket. In 90 plus temp. he is sweating like a pig and not shooting worth a damn. Another would show up on Sunday morning of a 3 day shoot. First thing he did was check the scoreboard and then proceed to hang a herd of buffalo chasing my score. He never beat my score he just beat himself. Guys shooting someone else's target to get them disqualified.

I watch a lot of Black Powder maniac you Tube
The boy shoots a .480 in his .50, and all sorts of novilty targets.
He records his misses and flubs
We all want to be Hawkeye, but BPM has too much fun.
I follow his model, because woods walk for a blanket prize or an afternoon in the timber or the range I just want to have fun.
The only guy who cares about the prize is the guy that wins it
You know if you cheated so how much satisfaction can there be
And even the honest ‘blood shooter’ is out there practicing at least every week.
Sounds like a job, echk
I think @B P Maniac Shooter would appreciate this post. I too love his videos, and was excited to see he posts here. I hope to meet him at Friendship sometime.

I think @B P Maniac Shooter would appreciate this post. I too love his videos, and was excited to see he posts here. I hope to meet him at Friendship sometime.
Thank you both for those kind words. I do appreciate it.
It is for that very reason why I have no interest whatsoever in attending shooting matches.
There is too much complaining & bickering among the contestants and I've heard that some shooters are watching others waiting to catch them cheating. They can keep the prizes.
I don't need any of that.
The only match I'll enter on a consistent basis is the Woodswalk Event at Friendship.
The only reason I enter that one is to shoot with others that are like minded for fun & hopefully to make a fun video for the BPMS Channel. I could CARE LESS what my score is.
I have more fun just plinking around with good friends all over the midwest USA
that doesn't care about winning or losing.

All of this cheating stuff is totally new to this old man. Until I read this thread I had no idea about it, let alone how it was done. I guess it's because here in UK we don't have a tribe of on-lookers a'whoopin' and a'hollerin' at the shooting going on in front of them.

And of course, we don't have trail shoots with guns, although we do something like it with field archery.

A guy is doing very poorly so deliberately misses his target, as it won't matter to his standing but puts that last ball or two into a guy's target who is doing well, to disqualify him...
I'm not sure that is cheating it's just downright mean-hearted.
I don't shoot paper matches most are steel with a judge in tow keeping score.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back