• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cheating In Matches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FishDFly

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Why do folks have to cheat in matches? Folks are over 70 years old.

Folks will cheat, openly, to get a cheap medal.

It is not like we are shooting for Cadillacs.

Range Officers will ignore open cheating.

Thoughts and cures?

I also would like to know how you can cheat in a shooting match? Maybe you shoot 5 shots but only 4 holes on target out of the five shots, so you have a wood dowel the size of your round ball and you run up to your target BEFORE anyone goes down range and poke a hole in the X-ring???? :doh::dunno::ghostly::horseback:

1. Why do folks have to cheat in matches? Folks are over 70 years old.

Folks will cheat, openly, to get a cheap medal.

It is not like we are shooting for Cadillacs.

Range Officers will ignore open cheating.

2. Thoughts and cures?
1. Because to them even if it takes cheating, they are the one people should/will look up to. The sad part is we do honor them unless we know the truth.
2. I have not seen any obvious cheating in my years of shooting.
Cures?? If someone is cheating and observed, the observer needs to protest. If you let it go, it will continue.
Larry

How can you cheat with the placement of a hole? It's not exactly easy to move one around to a better location, is it?
How about a match that is 5 shots? The shooter misses twice so he/she shoots 7 RBs. Some of the matches I go to say 5 on paper, then you can't cheat.
Larry

I too am curious as to how guys cheat.
We shoot paper and steel. We score the paper but the steel is hit or miss. I ask the folks to give their hit or miss sheet, x or o to someone to writedown but somw do not. Simple, put an "x" for a hit when it should be an "o". Think a woodswalk. Hit or miss. That is where I have seen it.

`Wow you would think by cheating your just cheating yourself being a bad aim instead of practicing on being better. I'll tell ya about a cheating at a range....well in a different way. I am retired NYCPD and also qualify every year for the Federal License HR218 license at the range held by the Sheriff Dept. Well its just a pass/fail score but some guys take it to heart bragging how good they shoot etc. I have a good friend like that and when we (along with a few other close friends who are also retired LEOs ) all go to quality we're tired of his busting balls about his shooting skills. Sooooooo what did we do? One of us always shoots one or two rounds on his paper target, but off the Bad Guy Silhouette giving him one or two misses hahahaha. This way the drive home we instead break his balls lolol. We did finally tell him after a few years doing this to him. He took it well, but now no longer stands in line along side any of us when qualifying. hahaha

Prior to retiring I was a firearms instructor for the state I live in, we had one of those guys like you mention RicM we were all excellent shooters but this guy was a real pain in the A22 so like you said one or two off the black from one of us and he was quiet. Never did tell him about it and never will. 😁

I too am curious as to how guys cheat.
They have mentioned shooting more shots than the string-of-fire allows...,

Loading two projectiles on your next shot when you realize your last shot on a paper target was a clear miss...,

There's a buddy in the spectator area with bino's who signals to his friend on the firing line where each shot has landed, when normally nobody can tell until the targets are scored, so the guy with the buddy can adjust his point-of-aim....

A shooter has a ragged hole in the paper target, so knows if a shot missed the judges would say that miss went where the others went..., and then that shooter put his last round into the paper target of the guy next door, who is shooting well too... or was until the judges spot he has one too many holes....

A guy is doing very poorly so deliberately misses his target, as it won't matter to his standing but puts that last ball or two into a guy's target who is doing well, to disqualify him...

Also, when you're talking paper targets, whether or not the hit "cut" the ring means a full point difference in the score, and that sometimes means placing well or not, in the match....

Wearing one's sash high up on the belly, and looping the sash through the sheath knife to secure it to the body, BUT the butt of the knife conveniently hangs right were it needs to be to rest the shooter's elbow on the knife and thus... standing and shooting "offhand" aka "standing/unsupported" is now "supported"....

Installing a tang bolt with a really pronounced head, so that the groove for the screwdriver works quite well as a rear sight in a smoothbore match were rear sights are not allowed...,

LD

Last edited:
They have mentioned shooting more shots than the string-of-fire allows...,

Loading two projectiles on your next shot when you realize your last shot on a paper target was a clear miss...,

There's a buddy in the spectator area with bino's who signals to his friend on the firing line where each shot has landed, when normally nobody can tell until the targets are scored, so the guy with the buddy can adjust his point-of-aim....

A shooter has a ragged hole in the paper target, so knows if a shot missed the judges would say that miss went where the others went..., and then that shooter put his last round into the paper target of the guy next door, who is shooting well too... or was until the judges spot he has one too many holes....

A guy is doing very poorly so deliberately misses his target, as it won't matter to his standing but puts that last ball or two into a guy's target who is doing well, to disqualify him...

Also, when you're talking paper targets, whether or not the hit "cut" the ring means a full point difference in the score, and that sometimes means placing well or not, in the match....

Wearing one's sash high up on the belly, and looping the sash through the sheath knife to secure it to the body, BUT the butt of the knife conveniently hangs right were it needs to be to rest the shooter's elbow on the knife and thus... standing and shooting "offhand" aka "standing/unsupported" is now "supported"....

Installing a tang bolt with a really pronounced head, so that the groove for the screwdriver works quite well as a rear sight in a smoothbore match were rear sights are not allowed...,

LD
NOW some of these at an informal event among friends are funny...,

Like the group getting tired of Roy winning all the time, so after one of the day's casual shooting contests, Roy finds he has 2X the number of hits he should have, and all of the other guys have a clear miss... 'cause as a joke each of the other guys shot once on Roy's target... . ☺️

Or the tang-bolt groove "rear sight"... "Hey you guys didn't say I couldn't do that"... 😁

It just ain't funny in a serious contest. 😇

LD

I have been fortunate enough that I have not run into this, but I know it occurs. As far as I am concerned, I compete against myself trying to improve my skills. If someone needs "a cheap medal" to boost their ego, have at it. Others know the truth, and that is enough.
I'm not made that passive. If someone has the audacity to blatantly cheat & think he's getting away with it, not getting called out & challenged on his manure character, lack of respect, honor & integrity, the range master or whoever is running the competition WILL do their job, or I have no probs at all stepping right up & putting a stop to it. PPL will get away with whatever you let them get away with. Challenge them, call them out in front of everyone, hold them accountable whether they get ****** & admit it or not. Stop them from being allowed to participate is what you should do. Do not tolerate intolerable manure from ppl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back