• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cheapest sources for balls, caps, powder, etc

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HandyAndy

32 Cal
Reaction score
Where do the budget minded members usually buy their BP supplies? I'm not opposed to buying in bulk to save money. I've heard that Walmart usually has good prices, but the ones near me only carry BP during hunting season and clearance it out right after.

I don't step foot in small LGS due to the attitudes, Fuddiness and general retardation that inhabit many of them. I'll never forgive them for all their anti MSR nonsense in the 80s and 90s.

How do the big box stores like Cabelas compare to online? How about gun shows? I haven't been to any shows for at least 10 years, but never paid attention to BP stuff back then.

Graf for powder.
Pour your own round balls.
Track of the Wolf...you can buy cleaning patches 1000 at a time and save a lot. Buy shooting patches and they ship with the cleaning patches for the same postage.
Cabelas you can get caps if you need only a hundred or two. Otherwise buy 1000 caps at a time from Grafs, the same time you buy powder. All goes under the same hazmat fee and shipping charge.

So, buy powder, caps and patches in bulk once. You will be set for years. Then you can spend your time shooting and looking around locally for free lead to pour your own balls.

Last edited:
I don't step foot in small LGS due to the attitudes, Fuddiness and general retardation that inhabit many of them. I'll never forgive them for all their anti MSR nonsense in the 80s and 90s.

What's MSR nonsense ?

Thanks

Graf for powder.
Pour your own round balls.
Track of the Wolf...you can buy cleaning patches 1000 at a time and save a lot. Buy shooting patches and they ship with the cleaning patches for the same postage.
Cabelas you can get caps if you need only a hundred or two. Otherwise buy 1000 caps at a time from Grafs, the same time you buy powder. All goes under the same hazmat fee and shipping charge.

So, buy powder, caps and patches in bulk once. You will be set for years. Then you can spend your time shooting and looking around locally for free lead to pour your own balls.

Thanks.

Any tips for finding scrap lead, since wheel weights are now steel?

What's MSR nonsense ?

Modern Sporting Rifles aka military pattern ( style ) rifles aka evil black rifles. Semi auto rifles that use military magazines. AKs, ARs, FALs, G-3s, etc etc.

A lot of guys on here will say go ask a roofer for scrap lead.
Yard sales for a box of old fishing sinkers.
I found a guy stripping it from the walls of an X-ray room. He was stuffing 60 lbs. into a $8 if it fits, it ships box.
Once you start scavenging lead you can quickly end up with more than you need. I've got enough for 5K round balls right now. It only took 2 months to fill a bucket with more than I needed.

For cleaning patches I buy suitable remnant cloth and cut my own. If you use ticking patches you can find suitable too.
Casting is good provided you can get soft lead. Check Robmetals for sales. 9 5lb bars gets free shipping.
Buy primers by the 1000. If too much or too many find someone to split with.
Use a powder that you find readily available in your area and buy what you can periodically whether you need it or not and build up a supply.

For cleaning patches I buy suitable remnant cloth and cut my own. If you use ticking patches you can find suitable too.
Casting is good provided you can get soft lead. Check Robmetals for sales. 9 5lb bars gets free shipping.
Buy primers by the 1000. If too much or too many find someone to split with.
Use a powder that you find readily available in your area and buy what you can periodically whether you need it or not and build up a supply.

Did you mean Lead Ingots / Wire - Page 1 - RotoMetals

You mentioned gun shows. They vary a lot from area to area in the amount of things you will find, but are still a fun place to look around. Sometimes you can run into some real bargains. I also keep an eye out at garage sales and thrift shops. I use material from fabric shops for patches (JoAnns). If you find the right size a few yards may last you for years.

You may find black powder or a substitute cheap at someones garage sale. An auction may occasionally have stuff too.

Also, a local gun shop or pawn shop that has been around for years may have some stuff. The newer fancier shop catering to the black gun crowd is unlikely to have much.

If you can’t find lead locally, look on eBay. There is a lot of pure lead with free shipping. I’ve bought several pounds and haven’t had any problem. For cleaning patches I have purchased several yards at a quilt shop. Paid $3.00 a yard. (46”x36”). I then cut into 1 1/2“x 1 1/2” for my 50 cal. This gives me over 600 patches for $.005 ea.

People are selling lead over at castboolits all the time. Put the word out to everyone you know. You might be surprized at some sources you get lead from. Junk and scrap yards, dentist & Dr offices or whatever. WWs are not ideal but they still shoot good. The stick on WWs are pretty soft.

Thanks

Thanks.

Any tips for finding scrap lead, since wheel weights are now steel?

Modern Sporting Rifles aka military pattern ( style ) rifles aka evil black rifles. Semi auto rifles that use military magazines. AKs, ARs, FALs, G-3s, etc etc.
Wheel weights are still lead around me. Some are a harder alloy but that's easy to check with a pocket knife. I just got my car inspected yesterday and got another ~25 lbs of weights for free. If I discard 3/4 of them for being too hard the cost is still ... nothing.
BTW where do you see steel weights? They aren't heavy enough or flexible enough to be a decent wheel weight.

I always watch for garage and estate sales. They usually have pics of the sale in the advertisement. Blow up the pics and look for hunting items...found powder, lead and even old rifles very cheap This way. Deer creek also has good deals.

Don't forget ranges. Some, especially outdoor ranges may allow you to come and clean up lead, but be sure to ask. The one problem with range lead is you will get a mix of hardness.

For cleaning patches, I use old t shirts and flannel shirts cut into the appropriate sizes.

Back