• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cheapest pistol kit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
none of the descriptions mention a set trigger on the plains? if they did i would be tempted to get one..
It's a weird quirk

Because the Spanish manufacturer uses the same lock as the rifle, if you just barely put pressure on the trigger it will move and "set" then when you actually squeeze to trigger break it's a very light "set" trigger

It's very hard to do, I'll try to make a video later

there are hundreds of CVA pistols (both colonial and kentucky) out there where the kit builder never even sanded the ridges off the stock properly. I have picked them up for $75 to $150. Re working and customizing such kits can result in a much better gun than factory finished. I no longer have one I was proud of. A CVA kentucky in 45 cal. I cut the stock back, added a barrel lug and underrib, but first turned the 2/3 of the barrel toward the muzzle gradually round with a slight wedding band at the transition. I added a sturdy ram rod and larger thimble. Switched the locks to one with a fly and added a single set trigger. Most folks could no longer tell that it was a CVA by birth. Looked more like a fancy custom gun, except for the lock.
I find that many of the messed up CVAs i have been seeing lately all have the new cheapy lock without bridle or fly. Many seen have a sheared off hammer to boot. The earlier locks are worth the value of the whole item and fetch almost $100 alone. With TC Patriot pushing the 1 K mark the CVA/ardesa Trapper may be the best value if found used and reasonable. Heres the last one i modded with a 12" .40 douglas barrel and captured rod and brass sideplate.

Attachments

• 20230319_183634.jpg
    20230319_183634.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Dixie Gun Works has some pretty decent deals on pistols, especially kits. Most of them don't even require that much work.

as I suspected when you actually click on the kit it says Currently unavailable. i am pretty much done with Dixie. had great luck with muzzeloader.com

I find that many of the messed up CVAs i have been seeing lately all have the new cheapy lock without bridle or fly. Many seen have a sheared off hammer to boot. The earlier locks are worth the value of the whole item and fetch almost $100 alone. With TC Patriot pushing the 1 K mark the CVA/ardesa Trapper may be the best value if found used and reasonable. Heres the last one i modded with a 12" .40 douglas barrel and captured rod and brass sideplate.
CVA Pistols, except for the trapper and the Hege-Siber, never had a bridle or fly in the lock. The TC patriot was always an over priced piece. The original 45 caliber barrels were lousy shooters. I had one that I replaced the barrel and put better sights on it. Then it could shoot.

If the OP isn't set on a single shot , $234 still buys a .44 Brasser off MidWay which may well turn out to be an assembled "kit" gun . It will definitely need grips and some internal finishing.

Fingers crossed Midway offers one of their random "Free Shipping above $75" or $10 off $100 deals that day

Other than that , GunBroker is full of old Jukars that probably aren't even shootable. 200 bucks barely buys anything with a trigger these days.
I work in a gun store and we occasionally buy estates. One such estate had a Dikar/Junker that I bought from the store for $30. It needed completely restored. I did it myself for the experience. It shoots well and I am now impressed with it.

Attachments

• 001.Spanish Dikar 45 caliber percussion pistol.jpg
    001.Spanish Dikar 45 caliber percussion pistol.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 002.Evaporust Cleaning off the rust.jpg
    002.Evaporust Cleaning off the rust.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 003 Cleaned up parts after Evaporust.jpg
    003 Cleaned up parts after Evaporust.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 0
  • 004 Degreaser Blueing ans Applicator.jpg
    004 Degreaser Blueing ans Applicator.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 006 Parts are Bluing nicely.jpg
    006 Parts are Bluing nicely.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 007 The barrel is done.jpg
    007 The barrel is done.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 010 Ready for oil.jpg
    010 Ready for oil.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 029 Rough assembly and fitting done.jpg
    029 Rough assembly and fitting done.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 031 Stuff to finish the stock.jpg
    031 Stuff to finish the stock.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 032 45 Dikar Restoration done.jpg
    032 45 Dikar Restoration done.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 0
as I suspected when you actually click on the kit it says Currently unavailable. i am pretty much done with Dixie. had great luck with muzzeloader.com
Dixie has guns on their site that have been out of stock since 2010

I'm pretty sure I've checked the Uberti Walker kit once a week since 2003 and it hasn't once been in stock

Half of the reviews are 20+ years old too, it's funny . It's like a blast from the past. Dude is like "not a bad pistol for $300" yeah it's currently $700

Last edited:
What is sad is all those "starter kits" out there rusting away cause some one lost interest.I hope they had enough sense to halfway clean them before they were put away cause they were "too much trouble".

The traditions kentucky seems like the best priced full size side hammer pistol kit. I have never handled one and feel more comfortable with a wedge system? mostly because thats what I am used to. so that makes me interested more in the great plains.

This thread got me to look into the Deer Creek Derringer offer for $209. I just finished most of it; it was a fun and simple project and I can't wait to shoot it.
I need to mention that this will be about my 5th pistol kit and pretty much completes my set of barrel lengths.

My only comment on the kit is that the trigger is a bit rough. Polishing the sear worked wonders, but be forewarned that getting that hammer spring back in can be a serious challenge. I made a tool to get it in from a cheap pair of slip joint pliers and a 1/8" cutting disk and a grinder, but this is not a task for a beginner, or even an intermediate builder.

As for accuracy and performance of a Derringer; the New Orleans Ace was the gun that got me into black powder shooting in the first place. After my first shot I was in love and have been happily-ever-after-muzzleloading since.

I would not hesitate to recommend a Derringer as a first gun, though I would warn anyone that accuracy might be a fantasy with that barrel length.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back