Cheap example/pattern for frock

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Centurion

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
There’s a chance i’m gonna get roasted, but...

I’ve been looking at a variety of examples of a rifleman’s frock and while watching “Unconquered” last night with Gary Cooper, it came to me that a modern example of this item is a simple bathrobe. My idea is:

Find a robe (at least a 2x) at Goodwill.

Disassemble with a seam ripper while watching “Roger’s Rangers”.

Find the right kind/color/weight of fabric.

Cut out the pieces using robe parts as templates and

Sew it together while watching “Jeremiah Johnson”.

Anybody ever try this?

don

kje54

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
There’s a chance i’m gonna get roasted, but...

I’ve been looking at a variety of examples of a rifleman’s frock and while watching “Unconquered” last night with Gary Cooper, it came to me that a modern example of this item is a simple bathrobe. My idea is:

Find a robe (at least a 2x) at Goodwill.

Disassemble with a seam ripper while watching “Roger’s Rangers”.

Find the right kind/color/weight of fabric.

Cut out the pieces using robe parts as templates and

Sew it together while watching “Jeremiah Johnson”.

Anybody ever try this?

don
If you're looking for "inexpensive" but a little better than a terry bathrobe...........

Rifleman's Frock - Linen Look Cloth

Centurion

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, but the robe was only to serve as a pattern to make my own. Lots more fun than picking something off the rack and asking, “Honey, does this make me look like Ward Bond?”

kje54

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, but the robe was only to serve as a pattern to make my own. Lots more fun than picking something off the rack and asking, “Honey, does this make me look like Ward Bond?”
Here's a search I did for free capote patterns you can use to modify the bathrobe. There actually is a big difference between a bathrobe and a capote.

capote pattern free - Google Search

kje54

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
One other thing, NEVER equate Hollywood with authentic, yes it happens on extremely rare occasions but as a general rule.......... Unconquered supposedly took place just after the French and Indian War (F&I), as far as we know that style capote didn't exist until the Revolutionary War.

Boatncamp

32 Cal.
Reaction score
If you are looking to make your rifle frock there is no need to purchase any pattern. Get a copy of Beth Gillpin's Tidings from the 18th Century. The garment was highly thought of in the day due to the simplicity of design and the utilitarian design. Size is flexible as it overlaps. I am finishing my second one right now. You also get to customize it to your liking by how much fringe you apply. To make it look as HC as possible you would hand sew everything. I cheat by using a machine for any stitching that is not visible on the outside and only hand sewing where the stitching is visible.

Other suggestion is to purchase inexpensive cotton fabric from Walmart to practice on (about $3 per yard) and then get some linen fabric to make your final one with. Joanne Fabric is a national chain where I have been able to get linen at about $8 a yard by using a coupon that they regularly have.

I make the sleeves first using the fringe to form the pleats at the elbows. Hint is to roll the edges where it is going to be open such as the opening to the cuffs before closing the sleeve.

Let me know if you want more info.

Woody

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Yes indeed , you can get coat pattern cheaper then a bathrobe, your going to do the work it’s just as easy or hard to make it right as wrong.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
So it's Beth Gilgun, if a search for the title is not successful, ;)

I wouldn't use Hollywood costuming for an example of period proper attire in about 99.9% of cases,

USE Ms. Gilgun's shirt pattern, because while taking apart a modern bathrobe would give you a pattern, it's a modern "cut", and what you will end up making is a modern bathrobe out of [insert fabric name here], and not a hunting shirt or frock.
Simply make a large adjustment to the Gilgun pattern and then you will have a very very large shirt..., then split it up the middle in front, and voila, hunting shirt/frock. Leave the edges at the bottom and reverse the collar when sewing it in, and fringe those for about 2", for that proper "look" OR...,
get fancy and sew on a contrasting color for fringe.

IF I can follow the directions and sew one as well as a bunch of shirts, you certainly can. :thumb:

LD

Reaction score
As you want to make a frock and not a capote i like your bathrobe idea. Your plan seems like it would be more rewarding than buying a paper pattern, just more satisfying. My bathrobe is one size fits all it could easly accomdate a 60-inch waist. You might want to start with a womans robe. I suspect you could find a robe at a trift store for the price of a paper pattern or less. Make an offer and you might save even more. Stick to your guns and go for it.

Brokennock

69 Cal.
Reaction score
The sleeve to body junction is wrong on a robe, as well as a number of other things,,, but, I do see where you are coming from,,,, at 1st glance.
I will reiterate the advice to get Beth Gilgun's book. Just splitting her simple shirt pattern down the front and adding a Cape would be better than using a bathrobe as a pattern.
In addition to Beth Gilgun's book, I highly recommend reading the research paper by Neil Hurst, "A Different Kind of Armor," where he actually examines some of the very few existing extant hunting shirts/frocks. This can be found free here on the old interweb, and has been linked to in previous topics on this forum.

I will also reiterate the suggestion/request not to use Hollywood as a basis for,,,,,, well,,,, anything...

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Hunters shirts/ frocks have their problems.
They were common and in some form found about everywhere.
Styles changed over the years, but you have a long lifetime for them. That that doesn’t work doesn’t stick around.
Howsomever I’ve not had much luck with them. Every one I've owned was a pia to wear.
Personally, and that just my opinion, a sleeved waistcoat or short working man’s coat is a lot more comfortable.
You can’t go wrong with Beth.
Kannicks Koner offers some fine patterns as does JP Ryan
The neat thing about the coats is pockets, generally missing on rifelmans shirts.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The other problem with using a robe, is you're likely to end up with a Banyan, and if you use plain fabric and shorten it, it's then a short, plain Banyan.

On the other hand, it might be an excellent way to come up with a pattern for a Banyan.... 🤔

BANYAN5.jpg

LD

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Now let us pick on Hollywood here. In general it looks like it doesn’t match mid eighteenth century clothing.
Howsomever look at his gun. Triggerguard is similar to Lancaster style, sliding patchbox cover, lock looks Queen Anne style, molding around lock. Gun looks a lot better then the converted 45/70s typical in movies at this time.

Centurion

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
That’s the guy!

And thanks a lot, Loyalist, now i’m never going to get Peter Sellers from Murder By Death out of my mind!

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The other problem with using a robe, is you're likely to end up with a Banyan, and if you use plain fabric and shorten it, it's then a short, plain Banyan.

On the other hand, it might be an excellent way to come up with a pattern for a Banyan.... 🤔

View attachment 63702

LD
Talk about conspicuous consumption!!!!!
A special coat to eat plain meat free meals, those guys were just too much!!!!
(Banyan days were days when no meat was served at sea. Cheese and oatmeal and beans being the fare)😊

Brokennock

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Maybe we need a special "Hollywood" section. The posts about recreating scenes from "The Patriot," and clothing/gear in "The Revenant," and comparisons of Hollywood costuming to researched patterns and extant clothing versus reenactors' attempts to follow the latter, could all go there.

Boatncamp

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is the frock that I am currently working on using Ms. Gilgun's instructions. The body is made of linen and the fringe is cotton.
Inside seams have been machine sewn and any visible seam and the fringe are all hand sewn.
I have used a traditional cuff vs the simple banding that is mentioned in Sketch Book '76.
I still need to pull the fringe and then make the cape.

frock3.jpg

Latest posts