• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Chasing T/C Threads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the threads are looking bad both Dixie and track of the wolf sell nipples that are .005, .010, or .015 over sized I have used both .005 and .010 oversized nipples in variuos rifles with good results, retapping is not always needed.
I did not know that. Thanks for the info!

David at the Gun Works did tell me the Ampco nipples they sell are a little thicker than the others. I've used them with some success.

Walt

If the threads are looking bad both Dixie and track of the wolf sell nipples that are .005, .010, or .015 over sized I have used both .005 and .010 oversized nipples in variuos rifles with good results, retapping is not always needed.
Drilling and tapping for an oversized nipple isn’t always required to make it fit, but drilling and tapping to the correct size is always a good idea if you intend to keep and use the gun. Just jamming an oversized nipple into a corroded hole is a bad idea. The threads are likely as rough as a corncob and it makes no sense to not clean them up. Unless maybe you are looking for a one time fix before selling a gun. One of the many reasons buying a used gun can be a crapshoot.

Interesting thread for sure. No pun intended.
I bought a TC White Mountain Carbine off a guy a few years back. First thing I did was replace the nipple with a Treso Ampco 1/4-28 nipple. It is the same nipple I use for my Renegades. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary when changing the nipple out.
I finally got around to shooting it a few months back. At the 3rd shot the nipple flew out, grazing my hair. The hammer flew all the way back dinging my stock. No harm to me. I was lucky.
I will probably be getting some taps and oversized nipples to make some alterations.

Back