• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chasing T/C Threads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So ironically enough, I recently purchased a few LRH Green Mountain barrels used and after reading about inserts and thread repair on barrels, green mountains barrel recalls came up. One of the barrels I just purchased falls into the recall. I called them to verify, they want me to send the barrel in so they can repair it with an insert of some kind. It must be a safe way to make a repair if GM is doing it with a sizable amount of barrels.

LOL......I think he just wants to chase and clean up his threads, not replace and overhaul his gun, folks.

Ask for the time, learn how to build a watch. Down the rabbit hole we go!

Yep and 2 pages later.

Just an fyi, you can grind the tip off a ‘regular’ tap to create a bottom tap.

How messed up are the threads? If they are in rough shape you may want to consider an oversized 1/4-28 tap to clean up things up. TOW sells the oversized taps, tap drill and the oversized nipples if you have to go down this path.

I went this route and it was a simple fix. Correct drill size and a .255 tap and nipple. My thoughts on chasing is that if the threads need chasing then maybe they would not be safe once chased.

So ironically enough, I recently purchased a few LRH Green Mountain barrels used and after reading about inserts and thread repair on barrels, green mountains barrel recalls came up. One of the barrels I just purchased falls into the recall. I called them to verify, they want me to send the barrel in so they can repair it with an insert of some kind. It must be a safe way to make a repair if GM is doing it with a sizable amount of barrels.

I saw something odd at the bottom of the nipple threads in a GM drop in. It was the helicoil unwinding down the threads. The GM "fix" was to put in a new helicoil. I had thought they would replace the breech plug but no.

Two countries separated by a common language

Yup. I enjoy an occasional foreign film but can't figger out what they are saying in those British movies. Need to be subtitled for North America viewing.

Are we far enough into the ditch now for Dave to shut it down? 🤔

I picked up a 1/4 28 bottom tap from Ben Alpren tools in Lewiston Maine for $4.00, Ace and the other stores had 1/4 20.
Thanks folks
Nit Wit

pop corn here.... large please:horseback:

Yup. I enjoy an occasional foreign film but can't figger out what they are saying in those British movies. Need to be subtitled for North America viewing.

The old dog has been "watchin" the Wabbit hole and side wiv J.Mull on this. Very often nipple threads are completely Bugred and need major surgery. We both suggested ways to get your iron out of the fire & back to work without the expence of going to a high end-high priced restorer or findin a replacement plug.. Sowry if us missled ya.

Most Wural ditches have Wabbit 'oles in em here. Its a long cwuise from you to us. Sorry if we taught ya the wong Anglo-Saxon along the way.. O.D.

In Lewiston a place called Ben Alpren tools filled the bill. Friday I got a 6x1mm for CVA stuff.
Nit Wit

I bought a 1/4x28 Bottom Tap off eBay for $6.95 shipped.

When it arrived, I found out the seller had ordered it from Home Depot! I didn't know they sold single taps that's why I went to eBay. Having a Home Depot account, I thought "I could have done that!"

Walt

If the threads are looking bad both Dixie and track of the wolf sell nipples that are .005, .010, or .015 over sized I have used both .005 and .010 oversized nipples in variuos rifles with good results, retapping is not always needed.

Back