• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Charleville sight picture

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully at 74 i still have a few shooting years left in me yet but thanks for the offers

I shot this target last weekend with my original Charleville at 50yds. I was lucky enough to buy this Charleville with a shiny .71cal 5 groove rifled barrel & fitted with a 1,000yd rear sight from a small pawn shop in Tennessee. The original bayonet came with it but it was unfortunately it had been converted to percussion in France in 1822. Cerification was validated by antique gun dealer in Gettesburg as to its originality, I now have a correct flint lock to convert it back but i am quite happy to shoot it in it's originality. I consider it the best $500 i ever spent & have told my wife that if i pass first that she is to send the Charleville back to the USA where it belongs.
that group would put meat in the freezer!

I've been toying with the idea of mounting some kind of rear sight to my Bess just to see if I can get a bit more consistency downrange. A search for "brown bess rear sight" only turned up one image, and it looks very much like LD's idea with the corner brackets. I have a pack of brackets en route, and I will begin experimenting when they arrive.

bessrearsight.jpg

A little update. I got the brackets. I couldn't find any in pure brass (lots of brass plated steel), so I just picked up the steel ones. I think I'm going to cut out a little thin leather pad to fit between barrel tang and bracket when I mount it to the gun, so as not to chance scratching up the tang. I'm going to mount one as is and see how high it shoots, then work down from there. I haven't decided, though, whether I'm going to file a notch or drill a smaller peep aperture in the bracket once I get to that point. We'll see how much I need to take off to get the elevation right, then I'll decide.brackets.jpg

Back