• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Charles Daley Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Higgins

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just won a Charles Daley Hawken 50 cal. through e-Bay. I had to bid on the stock then was offered the barrel and trigger assy. since they can't sell complete guns. All total I didn't have to pay too much, but then again I don't have it yet, it should be on the way.

A couple of questions:

I was not aware that Charles Daley made MLs so this offering was new to me. I know that for a time Charles Daley guns were made in Japan by Miroku but I don't think that is the case any more. Does anyone have some idea about when this gun was made, how long this style ML was produced under the CD name and how it stacks up to other guns of this type in terms of quality. Was it ever a kit or only available as a complete rifle.

I did some google searches on this but really didn't find out much so I would appriciate any info you might have.

The "Third Edition Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Values" says Charles Daly sold three different "Hawken" guns.

The book says "All Charles Daly rifles feature adj. sights, investment cast brass trim, patch boxes, color case hardened hammer and locks, octagon rifle barrels, adj. double set triggers, and European hard wood stocks.

A "Deluxe Hawken Rifle, .50 or .54 cal prec. or flintlock, 29 in barrel that was discontinued in 2000. It's value was given as $340, 290 and 230. (Subtract $50 for Percussion)

A Hawken Carbine in .50 cal with a 22 inch barrel, disc in 1994. Value: $250, 205, 160

A Hawken Rifle in .45, .50, .54 perc. 29 in barrel Disc. 2000. Value 250, 205, 160

If they have European hard wood stocks, I doubt they were made in Japan. Most likely Spain or Italy.

Hope this helps.
zonie :)

greetings higgins,,

congradulations and welcome to the forum. don't know anything about your rifle. but, looking forward to hearing about your load developement etc.

once again, welcome and p;ease keep us posted..

..ttfn..grampa..

Just a follow-up.

My rifle arrived today and it looks pretty good, I think it will make a fine shooter. The gun had been fired some as evidenced by the wear around the nipple area and barrel but not excessivly so. The wood is light colored and in good shape, very few dings. The bluing is good, the brass is clean and in good shape as is the barrel. The trigger will need some tweaking. It is missing a nipple, front sight and one thimble but those can easily be corrected.

The 29" barrel is marked 'Black Powder Only' and has European pressure proof marks and is marked Spain.

Thanks to those who provided information about the gun and it's value. Considering that I got the whole thing and delivered to my door for less than $150.00, I am happy with the deal. Now I have to go out and make some smoke with it!

I’ve had my C Daily 50 harken for as long as I remember 28 in barrel octagon with a stainless steel liner maple stock 201 shotguns primer mag spark igniter and topped off with a Simmons’s shotgun scope
BEST BLACK POWDER I EVER SHOT

My first black powder rifle ever, way back in the 1970's, was a Charles Daly Hawken. I purchased it to hunt in southern Wisconsin, I preferred one accurate shot over the mandated shotgun only, shooting Foster slugs. Still have it today, and just shot it last week. While not authentic, it got me started and has been a very accurate and reliable shooter. It is in .54, shoots PRB (preferred) and conical into a single ragged hole at 50 yards. Mine was made by Investarms, and is the same gun as the Pre-Pedersoli Cabelas Hawken. The Lyman Trade Rifle is the same gun, without a patchbox. It is a great, reliable gun. Never had a problem with mine, you can easily interchange barrels for other calibers, I have a .40 that drops right in. Great buy for $150!

There were also Charles Daly's that were built in Suhl, Prussia, pre WW-1, and sold in Berlin through their agent Lindner. To my knowledge they never made ML'ers, and your's isn't one of those.

The name is now owned (post 2017) by Chiappa Arms in Italy. The original Charles Daly died in 1899.

My Chaes Daly Hawken is an. 50 cal percussion Investarms from 1985. It's a great gun! I paid $215 for it a year ago; dont think it had ever been shot! I shoot it better(for now) than my flintlock that I paid 4x as much for. Took a fat doe with it thus past November. My likes 80gr of 2f Goex. It's dead nutz out to 50yds with PRB. The only conicals I've shot were Hornady Great Plains bullets which a shot low. I'm sure I can adjust the sights but would rather shoot PRBs anyhow.

I got this gun last year for 100 bucks. It is marked Charles Daly R. 50 CL 1 in 20. Other side says Traditions USA and it was made in Spain. Its unfired with rubber pad and octagon to round barrel. Anyone know anything about it?
DSCN0018.JPG
DSCN0019.JPG
DSCN0020.JPG
DSCN0021.JPG

I got this gun last year for 100 bucks. It is marked Charles Daly R. 50 CL 1 in 20. Other side says Traditions USA and it was made in Spain. Its unfired with rubber buttView attachment 22603 View attachment 22604 View attachment 22605 View attachment 22606 View attachment 22603 View attachment 22604 View attachment 22605 View attachment 22606 pad and octagon to round barrel. Anyone know anything about it?
Looks like a buckskinner. Sold one last fall with a laminate stock and fiber optic sights

FAST TWIST BARREL:
Should be really good for shooting bullets.

I would not expect it to shoot a full power
traditional patched round ball load with any accuracy at all....

IF I were to attempt shooting patched round ball with a
FAST TWIST BARREL
I would use a minimum charge of FFg or FFFg real black powder... *probably 30 grains by volume...

This is often called a "small game load".

Latest posts

Back