• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Charge not going off, help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A muzzle loader discharge kit like the one by RMC might work. I use mine when after a day's hunt with no shot, I use the kit to propel the bullet and powder back out the muzzle (be sure to aim it into a water bucket or 5 gal. bucket with a towel in it as the first time I used it it sent the projectile across the yard and smacked into the tool shed). The kit uses a CO2 cartridge to do the work. RMC B.I.D. Kit by Rydon Corporation.

There are patch lubes that will prevent your present problem. You can shoot all day without swabbing the bore. A mixture of ballistol and water does a darn good job of preventing this problem. Never ever put oil, or any product containing petroleum in your bore.
You do realize that Ballistol is a petroleum based product?

A muzzle loader discharge kit like the one by RMC might work. I use mine when after a day's hunt with no shot, I use the kit to propel the bullet and powder back out the muzzle (be sure to aim it into a water bucket or 5 gal. bucket with a towel in it as the first time I used it it sent the projectile across the yard and smacked into the tool shed). The kit uses a CO2 cartridge to do the work. RMC B.I.D. Kit by Rydon Corporation.
I imagine I'd have to order that from somewhere yeah? At that point my ball puller will be here before that ever would. It would come in handy in the future though, saves a ball from being ruined by the puller

I am too much of a novice to suggest this as a solution, but would it not be possible to inject ethanol through the touch hole and then see if the charge would set off?

I am too much of a novice to suggest this as a solution, but would it not be possible to inject ethanol through the touch hole and then see if the charge would set off?
Yeah someone else suggested that too. I'm considering that. I'm just worried if it may have adverse effects on the bore(???) Idk. It does seem like a plausible solution.

You do realize that Ballistol is a petroleum based product?
First oil that I found that mixes with water. White MINERAL oil. Baby oil is a perfumed mineral oil. and a Petroleum Distillate which is a trade secret. It's like saying a Ferrari is an American family car.

Last edited:
I imagine I'd have to order that from somewhere yeah? At that point my ball puller will be here before that ever would. It would come in handy in the future though, saves a ball from being ruined by the puller
They are getting hard to find and expensive. Best of luck.

Yes, but you must use pure alcohol, (alcohol that does not contain water.) I would use HEET gasline antifreeze.

First oil that I found that mixes with water. White MINERAL oil. Baby oil is a perfumed mineral oil. and a Petroleum Distillate which is a trade secret. It's like saying a Ferrari is an American family car.
Not sure what you are trying to say. Ballistol is mineral oil with an emulsifying agent in it, that is why it will emulsify with water. Mineral oil is made from petroleum......
A mixture of ballistol and water does a darn good job of preventing this problem. Never ever put oil, or any product containing petroleum in your bore.

Never pour oil down the barrel if you have a charge that won't go off.
If the charge was sullied by water pour pure ethanol or methanol down the barrel To remove the moisturize, then shoot it out. If it runs out the flash hole your good to go, just don't set yourself on fire. Let is flash off first.
Sounds like a great idea. Gonna have to try that sometime, just hope I don't need to try it

Not sure what you are trying to say. Ballistol is mineral oil with an emulsifying agent in it, that is why it will emulsify with water. Mineral oil is made from petroleum......
Tell you what. You just go ahead and put motor oil on your patches and shoot away. Or better yet, 3 in 1 oil. You just shoot the heck out of that good stuff. Have fun

Yes, but you must use pure alcohol, (alcohol that does not contain water.) I would use HEET gasline antifreeze.

I don’t see that a small percentage of water in the ethanol would make any difference, as the powder you are injecting it into is already soaked in water. As long as the resulting alcohol/ water mixture is above proof, then the gunpowder should burn.

Ballistol contains:

Mineral Oil
Potassium Oleate
Ammonium Oleate
Oleic Acid
Benzyl Alcohol
Amyl Alcohol
Isobutyl Alcohol
Benzyl Acetate
Anethole
Isohexane
(aerosol only)

Tell you what. You just go ahead and put motor oil on your patches and shoot away. Or better yet, 3 in 1 oil. You just shoot the heck out of that good stuff. Have fun
Why do you bring up motor oil and 3 in 1? I never mentioned either. You said to use Ballistol. Ballistol is mostly mineral oil. Mineral oil is made from petroleum. You said Ballistol is good for your bore, but don’t use any product containing petroleum in your bore. Can’t have it both ways. Just quoting your posts.
QUOTE="Crow-Feather, post: 1691462, member: 297"]
A mixture of ballistol and water does a darn good job of preventing this problem. Never ever put oil, or any product containing petroleum in your bore.
[/QUOTE]

I don’t see that a small percentage of water in the ethanol would make any difference, as the powder you are injecting it into is already soaked in water. As long as the resulting alcohol/ water mixture is above proof, then the gunpowder should burn.

In theory yes, but I want as much drying power as possible. It's in a confined area not sitting in the open.

Latest posts

Back