• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Charge not going off, help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Help a newbie out. Got a bit too much fouling and before realizing it was too late, ball was on the barrel. It was tough to get down, but I did get it seated, I used a small amount of water to help. Now the charge won't go off, just flash in the pan. Is the main charge water logged? Is there another issue. And if so do I wait for it to dry before pulling out the ball and cleaning it?

You more than likely got the powder wet by using the water I'm assuming on a soaked patch to get it down. I think your only option at this point is to pull the ball. It's probably going to be tough to pull so get someone to hold the gun while you pull. Put some water into the flash hole if you are concerned to make the powder completely inert, however Ive pulled balls from dry bores many many times. As long as youre careful and don't put any part of your body in front of the muzzle you will be ok.

Next time if it gets hard to load, swab the bore before loading the next round. This time of year you might be swabbing every shot or every two shots. Humidity can be a bear.

Good luck.

Try pushing some priming in the vent after you make a hole in the load with the vent pick. It might be enough to light things up. If fouling has grabbed the ball/patch, run some bore cleaner or just plain water in the muzzle and let it sit a minute or two. Then pull the ball. This might help keep the puller screw from pulling out and you will have to clean the wet load up anyway.. An air compressor is also an option.

You more than likely got the powder wet by using the water I'm assuming on a soaked patch to get it down. I think your only option at this point is to pull the ball. It's probably going to be tough to pull so get someone to hold the gun while you pull. Put some water into the flash hole if you are concerned to make the powder completely inert, however Ive pulled balls from dry bores many many times. As long as youre careful and don't put any part of your body in front of the muzzle you will be ok.

Next time if it gets hard to load, swab the bore before loading the next round. This time of year you might be swabbing every shot or every two shots. Humidity can be a bear.

Good luck.
Ok yeah, I guess I'm done shooting for today then lol. I'll pull it. Should I clean the bore at all before pulling? Or wait till after? And yeah by the time I realized it was to fouled, the ball was already in there. I'll just remember for next time to swab more often. It was my first time shooting ever haha

Try pushing some priming in the vent after you make a hole in the load with the vent pick. It might be enough to light things up. If fouling has grabbed the ball/patch, run some bore cleaner or just plain water in the muzzle and let it sit a minute or two. Then pull the ball. This might help keep the puller screw from pulling out and you will have to clean the wet load up anyway.. An air compressor is also an option.
So there's no chance to shoot this load? I should just pull it? Don't have an air compressor so yeah I'll have to pull it

I edited my post to say try pushing priming in the vent. What lube are you using. Bore Butter comes to mind.

I use apiece of 1/32" music wire for a pick. It is small enough that it doesn't wear the hole. You can make a hole clear to the other side of the bore.

So there's no chance to shoot this load? I should just pull it? Don't have an air compressor so yeah I'll have to pull it
Try pushing some fresh dry powder thru the vent hole a few grains at a time with your pick. It doesn’t take much to get the ball clear of the bore.

You could try to put some priming powder through the touch hole but it sounds like youve already doused the charge and it's not going to go off. You can try it though.

If you have to yes, clean the bore before pulling the ball, and use some light oil to make it easier for ball and patch to come out.

Forget the air compressor in this case. You will need a very tight seal to get that ball to move and you wont be able to on a touch hole it's tough to do.

Another option is to remove the touch hole liner install a zerk fitting and push the ball out with a grease gun. It will be a mess but it works.

I might try putting some powder through the vent hole. But yeah I am worried it is to wet. If the whole charge in there is wet I doubt it would go off?

Also I do have a ball puller on the way, though it hasn't arrived yet. I now see I should have waited till I had everything to shoot the first time, but dumb me didn't think I'd get a ball stuck first time

So how long would you say I have for the ball puller to arrive before rust/corrosion gets to the gun if I can't clean it yet?

Pull the lock, and remove the touch hole liner, take a piece of wire and dig a bit of powder out and replace it with fresh powder, reassemble and shoot it out. If your touch hole liner is not removable your only option is to pull the ball.

I would try the suggestion of putting a little powder in the touch hole after cleaning it out and give shooting it out a try. Has worked for me in the past. Pulling a ball can be a lot of work sometimes if it is really stuck without dumping cleaner liquid patch lube down the bore and letting it soak. The good part of that is it makes cleaning the barrel somewhat easier which you need to do anyway at this point.

Pull the lock, and remove the touch hole liner, take a piece of wire and dig a bit of powder out and replace it with fresh powder, reassemble and shoot it out. If your touch hole liner is not removable your only option is to pull the ball.
Yeah I don't think it's removable, so I'll pull it. Unfortunately my ball puller is still on it's way in the mail. Do you think it will be fine if I have to wait a few days for it before it gets here and I can pull the ball and clean the gun?

Not removable, good thing is, smooth bores are easier to pull. Just make sure you have a good range rod that the end doesn't pull off , then you really will have problems. Just fill the barrel up with WD40, that will hold it for a few days .

Not removable, good thing is, smooth bores are easier to pull. Just make sure you have a good range rod that the end doesn't pull off , then you really will have problems. Just fill the barrel up with WD40, that will hold it for a few days .
Haha yeah, it's a fully metal rod so should stay on. So u dat just absolutely coat the bore in WD-40 or Ballistol or something till the puller gets here and there shouldn't be too much risk of corrosion?

You can make yourself a ball puller with a #8 or #10 machine bolt, cutting it off, and welding or brazing screw on the other side.

Plan B would be to pull the plug and push it out.

Back