• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Charge difference

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocHolliday

32 Cal
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I have a noobie question for you.

If I were interested in going up in grain size from 2F Swiss to 1-1/2 F or 1F in an attempt to improve pattern, how much should I reduce charge and maintain equal velocity?

TIA for replies

I don’t shoot Swiss but if you went from 2f to 1 1/2 or 1 isn’t that a larger grain which in most cases would reduce velocity requiring more powder to achieve the same velocity.

Because the larger grain size of 1 1/2F and even larger grain size of 1 F powders, the charge will have to be increased due to the slightly smaller burn rate of the larger sized powders. I would suggest a 5% increase for the 1 1/2 and up to 10% increase for the 1F. It will really take a shooting chronograph to make the final determination. Use suggested load data for starting loadings.

Going to a larger grain powder will require you to INCREASE the charge weight to get equivalent velocity. I think you will find 1.5f & 1f are better suited to scaled down cannons than shotguns & other things beside powder choice have more influence on patterns. Better to experiment with powder to shot charge ratio, wads, cards, etc., as my experience indicates 2f & 3f will give optimum performance.

Gentlemen,
I have a noobie question for you.

If I were interested in going up in grain size from 2F Swiss to 1-1/2 F or 1F in an attempt to improve pattern, how much should I reduce charge and maintain equal velocity?

TIA for replies
You would have to increase your charge is going from 2fg to 1 1/2fg or even 1fg. The larger grain size has less surface area and a slower burn rate.

There are times that I will increase the grain size in my smoothbores, so as to help maintain patterns. Each gun is unique, so you’ll need to play with your loads and test patterns.

Back