• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Channel Flash Rust

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverbravo

32 Cal
Reaction score
I was using real black powder the other day for the first time. Up until then I have been using substitutes. Apparently my cleaning routine was inadequate for black powder. I encountered flash rust for the first time. I was able to get the barrel under control as well as the area under the nipple. No doubt it is in the fire channel. My question is how do I address it? Some of you might recall an earlier post about the clean-out screw being rusted in place. I was never able to get the screw out so that's not an option. It's too bad it is or I would have just run a 22 caliber Barrel brush down the channel. The only thing I've been able to get into this tiny space has been a pipe cleaner and even then not very well. Thank you for your help.

I would work on trying to free the bolster screw. If you can get it out, be sure to use some anti sieze when reinstalling. Mine was rusted in place and I ended up drilling it out, re-tapping and replacing with a set screw.

My rifle doesn’t even have a ”clean out” screw and after around 35 years of shooting it I feel no need of it. My cleaning solution is water either cold or warm then oil. No pipe cleaners or special tools other then a jag and nipple wrench. My flintlocks get the same with out the wrench or trying to remove the vent liner. Ever wonder how guns were cleaned before ultra sonic and all the new wizz bang tools came about?

This forum has forever put to rest any concerns I had about cleaning. I just do it now and carry on shooting. I check my rifle after a day or two and have seen nothing in the way of crud or rust and it shoots great the next time. Can't believe I am saying this (was losing sleep when I first bought the rifle last fall) but don't sweat the small stuff!

I was using real black powder the other day for the first time. Up until then I have been using substitutes. Apparently my cleaning routine was inadequate for black powder. I encountered flash rust for the first time. I was able to get the barrel under control as well as the area under the nipple. No doubt it is in the fire channel. My question is how do I address it? Some of you might recall an earlier post about the clean-out screw being rusted in place. I was never able to get the screw out so that's not an option. It's too bad it is or I would have just run a 22 caliber Barrel brush down the channel. The only thing I've been able to get into this tiny space has been a pipe cleaner and even then not very well. Thank you for your help.
Id reclean it with soapy water ( smdawn dish soap or Murphy’s oil soap), then scrub it down with wd-40, use a few dry patches then squirt a little cloud film into the bore and run a patch down there.. make sure it comes out of the nipple and your good to go. Then before you load next time just swab with a patch soaked with brake clean. Pop a cap or two off and your good to go.. this has worked well for me

Id reclean it with soapy water ( smdawn dish soap or Murphy’s oil soap), then scrub it down with wd-40, use a few dry patches then squirt a little cloud film into the bore and run a patch down there.. make sure it comes out of the nipple and your good to go. Then before you load next time just swab with a patch soaked with brake clean. Pop a cap or two off and your good to go.. this has worked well for me
that was supposed to have said “ Fluid film” not “ cloud film“... spell check error.. sorry

The "clean out screw" is not meant to be removed. IT is there to plug the hole drilled my the manufacturer to get the fire from the nipple to the chamber.

It is kind of like a belly button. It once served a purpose, but now, picking at it is a bad idea.
Crackin up.

I've never ever had rust in the fire channel. I never clean it either. I do pour Hoppes or oil in it and place a patch between the hammer and nipple when I put the gun away. A pipe cleaner is a good idear.

My kids PE teacher used to
Tell him “ Don’t sweat the petty things and don’t pet the sweaty things”. As far as cleaning goes, Don't miss the small details. Set yourself up a routine and everything will fall into place.

The "clean out screw" is not meant to be removed. IT is there to plug the hole drilled my the manufacturer to get the fire from the nipple to the chamber.

It is kind of like a belly button. It once served a purpose, but now, picking at it is a bad idea.
Are you sure? How do they drill it out when there's no clean out screw?

Latest posts

Back