• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Changing a double set trigger to a single trigger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I built the pre-carve from hell rifle with double set triggers just because they came with the kit. The pre-carve had a 3/8" web which I was able to reduce some but still had way too much room between the trigger bar and the sear and had to add metal to the trigger bar to make the double set work. The trigger set came with a cross threaded adjustment screw that I re-tapped and replaced the screw but it is a sloppy fit and doesn't work right.

The triggers work but have a lot of slop and creep that annoys me to no end, picky, picky, picky.

I am planning to replace the double set with a single trigger like a Haines rifle is supposed to have. Do you guys think I could have the slots welded up in the existing trigger plate which is long and already inletted or would it be better to make a new plate for a single trigger to fit the inlet? The first option would be much quicker, I have made a bunch of trigger plates and single triggers but never swapped out a double set for a single pinned trigger.

I will have to glue in wood to fil the cavity where the double set mechanism sat.

I would weld/finish the DS trigger plate to avoid the extra/different inletting (besides having to make a new plate)

I made this trigger and plate for a fowler build because you can't by a proper offset English Fowler trigger plate. I didn't like the natural 10 year old patina of the trigger so I polished it to match the trigger guard just the other day.

Trigger plate in finished.jpg

making trigger plate with trigger.jpg

I built the pre-carve from hell rifle with double set triggers just because they came with the kit. The pre-carve had a 3/8" web which I was able to reduce some but still had way too much room between the trigger bar and the sear and had to add metal to the trigger bar to make the double set work. The trigger set came with a cross threaded adjustment screw that I re-tapped and replaced the screw but it is a sloppy fit and doesn't work right.

The triggers work but have a lot of slop and creep that annoys me to no end, picky, picky, picky.

I am planning to replace the double set with a single trigger like a Haines rifle is supposed to have. Do you guys think I could have the slots welded up in the existing trigger plate which is long and already inletted or would it be better to make a new plate for a single trigger to fit the inlet? The first option would be much quicker, I have made a bunch of trigger plates and single triggers but never swapped out a double set for a single pinned trigger.

I will have to glue in wood to fil the cavity where the double set mechanism sat.
Eric, Welding may distort the plate. An alternative may be silver soldering a screw in place and then drill and tap again.

Eric,
I you need to have someone else weld it, then I would fill the trigger bar with fitted metal and soft solder it in myself. Why do you need the fill in the wood that has already been removed? I wouldn't mess with that unless you think there is a strength issue.
Larry

I made this trigger and plate for a fowler build because you can't by a proper offset English Fowler trigger plate. I didn't like the natural 10 year old patina of the trigger so I polished it to match the trigger guard just the other day.

View attachment 165982

View attachment 165984
Hey Eric, you have to curl that trigger up to make it fit in the guard? 😁

Do you guys think I could have the slots welded up in the existing trigger plate which is long and already inletted or would it be better to make a new plate for a single trigger to fit the inlet?

I've only done this type conversion once but it really was pretty simple and came nowhere near the skill shown by your fowler plate. I'd say make a plate and put the set triggers aside for repair and repurpose.

I don't know how the trigger pivots are set up in the plate but many of the double-set triggers I've seen are considerably less than ideal to use the front trigger due to the pivot being well below the sear pivot. I would suggest making a single trigger to fit one of the existing slots and pin it in the wood so it has the best possible working angle with the sear and shape to work within whichever slot seems most appropriate (might have to slot out part of the trigger around the web in the middle of the plate to make it swing in the correct location), and then file a blank to fill the empty trigger slot, solder it in, and peen a segment of screw shank into the adjustment screw hole and file it all off flush.

That said, I don't find it any more difficult to fit new metal to existing inlets than I do inletting wood to fit existing metal.

Latest posts

Back