• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Changed To Pillow Ticking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneshot

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Decided to change to Pillow Ticking for Patches,took my old cheap CVA 54Cal.,Patch and Ball,Bore Butter Lube,100Gr. Pyrodex,at 50 yards,shot only 5 times.

I don't think I'll change a thing.

lastscanTarget.jpg

oneshot

Kinda hard to tell what ya did, but taking a rough measurement from it, it appears to be about a 3" group C to C ? If so, that rifle will most likely do much better. Normally the ole CVA .54 & .54 cals. I have messed with will shoot a 1 to 1.5" group at 50 yards with some load work & real BP. I suggest you try about 75 grains of FF Goex & see what it does as those ole CVA's will really fool ya. They ain't purdy but the suckers will really shoot with the right load. I have old percussion CVA Big Bore Mtn. Rifle I built back in the 70's in a .58 cal. & it will shoot a 5/8" C to C group at 50 yards.

Well here is a 5 shot group at 25 yards.The one in the far upper right,I swabed the Rifle,had a little moisture,so I had a little Hang Fire. :(

lastscanTarget_Short_2.jpg

oneshot

The 25 yard group size should be 1/2 the size of the 50 yard group size & it is not. This tells me this is not a good load for this rifle as at 25 yards it should put all of them touching each other or dang near it.

Also, you should be sandbagging the rifle on the front & rear & from a good solid bench to find a good load & eliminate the human error. You can shoot offhand all ya want after ya find a load, but to cut the chase getting the right load, sandbagging the rifle will save you a lot of time. The idea is to find what the rifle itself will do, not what you can hold.

IM not sure I would be happy with that, I think you can do much beeter. I would start by cutting the powder charge by 1/2. Whigh the balls throw out anything over 1gr difference and shoot again. 1.1/2 c to c in should be possible.

Well if I shoot from the Bench instead of Offhand it should tighten up.

oneshot

Back