• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Change trigger guard

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamtnman

Hunt to Live
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
When I had my .54 made, the sleek look of the trigger guard is why I chose it. Looks great. As i have learned over the past eight years, that sleek guard barely has enough room for my finger TIP, let alone the whole finger. I want to change the trigger guard and put in one that has a bigger bow. Anyone have experience doing this? And advice?

When I had my .54 made, the sleek look of the trigger guard is why I chose it. Looks great. As i have learned over the past eight years, that sleek guard barely has enough room for my finger TIP, let alone the whole finger. I want to change the trigger guard and put in one that has a bigger bow. Anyone have experience doing this? And advice?
How about a few pictures?
Is it pinned or screwed?

Look at your rifle. Determine how to best mount a new trigger guard. You may have to remove wood to fit a new guard, plug pins and install new pins.

Look at Track of the Wolf's on-line catalog for guards that suit your needs. Print out the page as Track has the images full size. Glue the image to a thin cardboard and cut away the inside edge for a kind of trial fit. Order your new trigger guard and install.

I did something similar for a fantasy (?) trade gun that had an 1850's trigger guard on a 1750's (?) trade gun. I needed to fill gaps in the stock, plug pin holes and drill for new pins. Of course I needed to take off a lot of wood to improve the shape.

Is it the size of the trigger guard bow or the position of the trigger in the bow? I have seen some trigger guards with the trigger so far forward that there wasn't much room for a finger.

Could you post a picture of what you are dealing with?

Latest posts

Back