• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

change to double set triggers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I mentioned in another thread that I like my Dart brand full stock .45 cal rifle but would swap out the single trigger for double set triggers. I have never removed the trigger from the rifle for a look but I wonder, is it usually a simple conversion/swap.
1594425355220.png

In order for a lock to function properly with double set triggers, the lock must have a fly in the tumbler to lift the sear over the half cock notch.
Not necessarily so. He could go with a single phase double set trigger that does not require a fly, but as I said earlier, it may require some additional wood removal, and a bigger trigger guard. That is why I suggested a single set trigger.

I mentioned in another thread that I like my Dart brand full stock .45 cal rifle but would swap out the single trigger for double set triggers. I have never removed the trigger from the rifle for a look but I wonder, is it usually a simple conversion/swap.
To answer you question, no it is not simple, especially for one who does not totally understand the mechanical relationship between lock and trigger/triggers. No disrespect intended. There are many variables that need to be considered once the overall inside mechanics are determined. Different locks, and triggers fit like mixing Chevy and Ford parts.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇸

Double set triggers by their design are longer than the one on your rifle. You would need a different trigger guard along with the double set trigger assembly. There would be considerable inletting required as well as a fly installed on the tumbler if it doesn't have one. Polishing the internals of what you currently have will improve the trigger and keep the rifle original.

Here's a pictorial of what is being explained above. With the set trigger the front and rear blades need to align with the sear arm as in the photo below. The dot represents the tip of the sear arm as though it's pointing at you. The V is where the tops of the two blades should be when the triggers are relaxed. IOW, when you install the set triggers the two blades should fall into this posture.

20200711_103104_copy_600x450.jpg

This next pic approximates your trigger guard and how the two triggers could possibly fit in it. So that part of the puzzle is "possible" but there's still the problem of aligning the two blades correctly. The dot in this picture represents the probable location of the sear arm in relation to your present trigger guard location. Not exact, but still not doable with a typical double set trigger.

20200711_103144_copy_800x600.jpg

If the lock has a fly, you could inlet it and position it to line up with the sear correctly and then position and inlet a trigger guard that accommodates the triggers. It won't be pretty because the old Inletting will still be there unless you fill it with matching wood. And lastly, before you start, you need to check where your tang bolt is fastened. They usually screw into the trigger plate so that might be a problem without customizing the trigger plate to intercept the bolt.

I think from the posts rendered above you got your answer.
Is it a simple drop-in conversion?--No.
Can it be done?---Yes.
Your next question is going to be; Is it worth the expense / effort?---You'll have to answer that one yourself.
Your first step though is going to be to take it apart to find out what you have.

Latest posts

Back