• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Change of plans (?)...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings all.
I had told Britsmoothy a couple days ago that I’d be toting something for turkey capable of launching a Skychief Special.

Since then, I’ve learned that Indiana has decided to allow 410’s (yes, burning the dreaded nitro powder) for turkey hunting this Spring.

Yeah, so what Skychief?

The “so what” part of the equation is that I’ve had a terrible itch ( for a loooong time) to take a longbeard, up close and personal, with a little single shot 410 that’s been a companion in the bunny thickets for decades.

I’ve stated that turkeys with muzzleloaders are akin to peanut butter with jelly, but, I’m having a hard time fighting the urge to take the runt shotgun out for an April outing.

Discombobulatedly yours, Skychief

Do it sir! I also have the same and have been itching to put it back into use as a little woods gun. I do load with black though. 40gr 3fg, wasp nest wad same volume measure of #6 or 7.5 followed by card. My son was using this load for grouse/rabbits when he was a weeling (he’s 22 now). Keep us informed.
Walk

Skychief
If you do decide to use your cartridge gun, please don't tell us about the adventure. As you know, we don't talk about those modern guns on the forum.

Understood Zonie. Would the subject be verboten in the non-muzzleloading section as well?

Thank you, Skychief.

Walkingeagle, I may pm you for some details about those black powder loads if you wouldn't mind...

Well, you could reload a few shells with FF, or even cut the base off a shell and load it from the muzzle, there by satisfying two wants in one!
Robby

Maybe you could tell us about the hunt as a "Reflection"! or a Dream, or a Nightmare!:ghostly:

I've always been a big game hunter but I was thinking about a fall turkey hunt this year. The season is a month long, so it would give me more hunting when i'm not out for bear and buck.

My only gun is a Hawken .50. Pretty overkill for turkey. I think it would be a good challenge to go for just a head shot. Do many of you do that?

I've always been a big game hunter but I was thinking about a fall turkey hunt this year. The season is a month long, so it would give me more hunting when i'm not out for bear and buck.

My only gun is a Hawken .50. Pretty overkill for turkey. I think it would be a good challenge to go for just a head shot. Do many of you do that?

I'm thinking fall turkey too but it's going to be hard to fit in 8f my draws work out; archery deer and elk, rifle bear (will use ml) and ml antelope. But there are a few turkeys near home. Guess it'll be a 45 if it comes together. Probably go for the head shot too. Also thinking a reduced load around 30 or 35.

From previous conversations here, I don't think a lot of states allow one solid projectile for turkey. I know a few people have mentioned their state does, but not many have verified that. In my state of Minnesota, the largest one can use is #4 bird shot, so shooting a turkey, even with a muzzleloader as small as a .32 cal, is not legal. But, I'd love to try it with my .36 if it was!

From previous conversations here, I don't think a lot of states allow one solid projectile for turkey. I know a few people have mentioned their state does, but not many have verified that. In my state of Minnesota, the largest one can use is #4 bird shot, so shooting a turkey, even with a muzzleloader as small as a .32 cal, is not legal. But, I'd love to try it with my .36 if it was!
It's legal for the fall hunt here but not for the spring hunt. No matter the Sept bear hunt is a month long and i'll be doing it instead.

Yeah, in Colorado the spring turkey tag is just a shotgun. In the Fall we can use any weapon. Any rifle, muzzy, bow, and crossbow.

Back