• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chance to buy some rifles need opinions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all. I am going to look the guns over this weekend and go from thier.
Anyone have a recommendation on a drop down the barrel bore light?

Thanks all. I am going to look the guns over this weekend and go from thier.
Anyone have a recommendation on a drop down the barrel bore light?
I prefer a borescope, but many seem to like the thill Bobber Light. Arrow nock lights can also work
1630440032170.png

The Remington revolver looks like a Remington-Beals copy, (no exposed barrel threads) but I can't tell if it has the hammer notches in between the chambers/nipples. I don't think the originals had them that early, but it's kind of cool, you don't see the Beales version often. They do clog up with fouling more often though. For a cheap bore light, go to Wal-Mart and buy a 'fishing bobber light' It will fit down your barrel, and only cost a couple bucks.

Thanks all!! I appreciate all your thoughts and insight. I will see how it goes this weekend.

Gun store appraisals are different than gun store offers. Many appraisals are for insurance policies which will be high (similar to jewelry appraisals for insurance). Dealers have to buy low to make a profit, so their offers will be lower than appraisals.

I've sold quite a few guns for widows, never took a nickel, with only one question - do you want money fast or hold on for the highest price? Several had no idea what they had and the departed left no list/value. Bottom line is - they were worth what someone was willing to pay at the time.

It's been my experience that traditional M/L's are harder to move at gunshows and are not highly coveted items at auctions around here.

You are advised to see if any accessories, supplies are available as well.
I agree. I work part-time in a gun store. We can sell inline muzzleloaders relatively easy during deer gun season. There is a small market for traditional muzzleloaders in our area.

The long guns vary in value depending on area you are in. We all see TC guns selling for $300 to $500 here on the forum, depending on condition and cap vs flint. However, at auctions near me, they struggle to bring $200. I've bought several in the $125 to $175 range. I am in the northeast so maybe we have an over abundance of TC's.

The revolvers also don't sell easily at gun shops, a little better at auctions. The colt Walker copy is probably the exception. People seem to grab them up.

All that being said, your relative has to understand that the values she was given are likely just estimates of retail value for the gunshop if they were trying to to sell those guns. They wouldn't give her those prices to buy them from her, likely less than half that.

Don't know anything about the pistols, but if the kit guns are built right the low end of the appraisal is reasonably. I bid a .32 cal like that one up to $500 at an action last week and didn't get it. Gunbroker just sold two Zovauas this week. One went for $285 the other $395.

Any thoughts on what this one is?
Barrel is 7” long and bore seems to be 15/32. Bore is the same as my dads Kentucky 45 cal pistol. No markings on barrel, I belive it’s a kit gun.
F47670A0-8664-4496-AF7C-8DC65FB361E9.jpeg
A6B7F8C9-6237-4A91-A8DB-ACB9E25C1CD5.jpeg
9D4EC79E-6BA5-459D-8B03-A94AAE0E07A9.jpeg

Uberti Walkers are about $450 brand new, most people aren't going to pay that at an auction even for a Minty one when you can order one from numerous sources.

$350 for a nice Zoli Zouave is about right, these don't bring high prices.

The price on kit guns will depend a lot on how good of job the builder did.

Go to gunbroker and look at COMPLETED auctions. Guns that actually sold. That will give you an idea on what the market is.

Fleener
This! I’d say the Hawkens would make fine hunting rifles, but that depends on the quality of the build.

So need some help with this one. Who made it? These are the only markings other than serial number.
55F32888-BD32-4788-B682-02D4F1527209.jpeg
BEFA92AD-9336-4847-BAEC-17453432A868.jpeg
180DDB66-0DD5-4697-9B9B-9DD3B76CB49E.jpeg
E120AD1E-4EF1-4B91-B37C-C34F07EB7DE0.jpeg

So I did come home with all 7 guns! My aunt and her mother wanted them out of the house so it was one less thing to worry about. My aunt had shared with her mother about me working with the boys. Teaching them how to use guns and shooting safety. Her mother was excited about seeing some of her husband’s guns going to a family with young boys. So they gave me a family discount on the two I wanted to keep. The rest I’m selling just to be a help.

So need some help with this one. Who made it? These are the only markings other than serial number.
View attachment 93780View attachment 93782View attachment 93783View attachment 93785
Hard to tell from your photographs. Better lighting and highlighting the stamps would make it easier for others to help you. All you need is a piece of old chalkboard chalk like they used when many of us were in school to bring out the engraving. Both the following photographs were taken at about the same distance with the same camera and lighting (handheld, so slight difference). Difference is that before the second photograph chalk was rubbed into the engraving. Believe you can see that one is significantly easier to read than the other. No other adjustments or funny business between the two photographs.
1631416309078.png

1631416351663.jpeg

Thanks Deermanok, I will look for more info on the ASM!
SDSmlf here are some pics with chalk! The problem with this method is you have to tuch chalk!
68ACA50C-7AE3-49D0-AC50-C30A08589733.jpeg
70D71766-04C6-4065-BAFC-97AEF00B15B2.jpeg
52E1F8D8-821B-4D15-91DD-E38750101814.jpeg

So here is the appraisal for the guns. The hawkens and 32 flint seem at least $150-$200 to hight compared to what I see them sell for…. The others I’m not sure of. View attachment 92213
Good God, the man can't even spell Pedersoli.

If they want them sold remembering Kit guns are usually a bit less than factory.
Hawkin rifle 300-350
Hawkin flint 350-400
32 PEDERSOLI 500- 600 depending on condition.
Maybe the Zoli has problems as he has placed the others "a bit" high on the used rifle market.

If the object is getting the most as they can, then let them sit there for a long while as others on Gun Broker are less.
If the object is to keep these in the family, then the above is a fair price. (although if it was my family member who wanted to have something from their relative to remember them by, I would gift them to the kids)

Latest posts

Back