• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chance to buy some rifles need opinions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loja man

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey all, just wanted to pick your brain some. I have the opportunity to buy some black powder rifle or pistols from a Aunt. Her father passed away about three years ago and she’s helping her mother sell off his guns. Before putting any kind of price she’s having all the guns appraised at a local gun dealer.
So a bit about myself. I am primarily a hunter. I shoot for fun as well. I currently have a TC New Englander and working on finishing a traditions 50 cal Kentucky kit. I have four boys that are gonna start growing up and be able to hunt more and more. This coming season my 12-year-old and nine-year-old will both be hunting with me. Seems like money is always tight so can’t justify a lot of or any extra guns. I’ve had the TC New Englander for about three years and bought the traditions Kentucky kit to have a second muzzleloader for my boys to share. Also I wanted to take a whack at building a muzzleloader. I’m contemplating buying all of the BP guns my aunt has. Keeping one or two and selling the rest. Would also probably sell my TC New Englander to justify keeping the TC Hawkins.
Would appreciate insight as to quality and price.
1- TC Hawkins Caplock kit rifle in 50 Cal
2- TC Hawkins flintlock kit rifle in 50 Cal
3- Pedersoli
Kentucky 32 cal flintlock
4- 3 pistols, not sure what exactly they are.
Thanks for any feedback!

Attachments

• F18C9896-AB1E-499B-A8C9-B55BF4B0F4A7.jpeg
    F18C9896-AB1E-499B-A8C9-B55BF4B0F4A7.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 201
  • C117A97B-45F4-4BAC-B6B5-B4C9E849C06C.jpeg
    C117A97B-45F4-4BAC-B6B5-B4C9E849C06C.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 204
  • 1FB2A538-B079-40A8-8DD6-695A341CE9DD.jpeg
    1FB2A538-B079-40A8-8DD6-695A341CE9DD.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 220
  • 3939B44E-E55D-4E5F-A267-D128AD0B481F.jpeg
    3939B44E-E55D-4E5F-A267-D128AD0B481F.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 196
Do you want them?
These are not high quality guns, but neither are mine.
Have they been cared for? The best gun in the world poorly kept, ain’t is good as el cheapo well maintained.
The value is the price they will bring.
should you want them and you and your aunt can meet a price both consider fair get them.
Well cared for they should shoot as well as you can hold.
Assembled well they will do great, and if there is a cosmetic problem that bothers you you can fix and refinish it.
They are not a valuable investment but can be tons of fun. And that’s the most important

I realize none of the rifles approach a better quality gun except for the 32 Cal flint. I feel like the percussion Hawkins is going to be apples to apples as far as my New Englander goes. I just like the Hawkins better than the New Englander.
I have never shot flint before. It definitely interest me but I’m not sure it interest me the tune of $500- $800.
I would assume unless I was giving a good family discount that my margin of profit on a resell is very slim?

I have dealt with gun shop appraisers before and generally speaking they usually appraise these types of guns real high. They look pretty good cosmetically and if the bores are good they should shoot pretty well. If you look them over and want them I say buy them all especially if you were close to the relative.

Bassdog I am a bit concern about what kind of tag a appraiser would put on them. I have never met my aunts father, she’s the wife of my mom‘s brother. So no real family ties there. I thought if I could buy the package at a reasonable price that it would help move the guns for them. Personal observation is that BP guns move a lot slower than other ones. So I would help them move them and maybe make a few dollars on the side. But that all depends on the kind of price they put on them

Woody Morgan That’s one of the things I told my aunt. Is that by being on this form I would probably be able to move them easier than she would. This community is all about BP so it stands to reason it would be easier to sell it here than elsewhere.

I always hate to have to make the first bid on an item. There's an old saying "I can't buy it AND sell it". Find out what she wants. Then do a search on here in classifieds see what they have sold for recently. But as stated condition is EVERYTHING.

I agree most appraisal are sky high.

I see the Uberti name on the bottom of the barrel on that Colt Walker repro. I see a Rem 1858 repro of some brand, and guessing a CVA percussion pistol of some variety. There shouldn't be a problem in finding a home for that Zoave.

Big revolver is a Uberti Walker. The other one is most likely an Euroarms "1858" look under the lever for a DGG mark.

So here is the appraisal for the guns. The hawkens and 32 flint seem at least $150-$200 to hight compared to what I see them sell for…. The others I’m not sure of.
5483F4A0-011C-4D4E-B2C5-9E82F54BAE29.jpeg

Gun store appraisals are different than gun store offers. Many appraisals are for insurance policies which will be high (similar to jewelry appraisals for insurance). Dealers have to buy low to make a profit, so their offers will be lower than appraisals.

I've sold quite a few guns for widows, never took a nickel, with only one question - do you want money fast or hold on for the highest price? Several had no idea what they had and the departed left no list/value. Bottom line is - they were worth what someone was willing to pay at the time.

It's been my experience that traditional M/L's are harder to move at gunshows and are not highly coveted items at auctions around here.

You are advised to see if any accessories, supplies are available as well.

So, are these the values the appraiser would pay for the guns? Or what they would ask for them if they were selling? Wholesale vs retail? The condition of the bores would be a major factor in determining value for an interested educated buyer.

I have not been able to stay current on the crazy gun values as of late, but for the moment, assume the appraisal is accurate for selling prices, $2750 - $3100 for the lot. That would put my buy to attempt to resell value (call it wholesale) between $1800 - $2000 at most for the lot if I hoped to make a profit, like a gun store would.

Personally, I would not tie my money up with this lot of guns in an attempt to make money. If you want any of them for yourself, figure out price and buy them. If you want to help your aunt sell them, be prepared to explain every penny realized less than the appraisal value.

If I were buying to resell I wouldn’t pay more the than 2/3 the lowest combined price of the lot assuming they function and have decent bores. Price goes down if one has issues.

If it were a close needy relative I would buy what I could easily afford and what I wanted.

Latest posts

Back