Chambers English Fowler

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Buckskinn

40 Cal
Reaction score
Well after exactly one year from ordering I received my English Fowler from Chambers. Which is fine, after it was delayed and wasn't able to be a winter project I told Barbie there was no hurry as it won't get touched until this winter anyway. They graciously did not charge me for wood upgrade to boot , so no complaints here!!! I had to wet the butt to see what was inside and looks like a very nice piece of American Walnut to work with, looking forward to getting started! This is #3 from Chambers for me and have not been anything but thrilled from what I have received.

20210918_142105a.jpg
20210918_142122.jpg

Hatchet-Jack

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well after exactly one year from ordering I received my English Fowler from Chambers. Which is fine, after it was delayed and wasn't able to be a winter project I told Barbie there was no hurry as it won't get touched until this winter anyway. They graciously did not charge me for wood upgrade to boot , so no complaints here!!! I had to wet the butt to see what was inside and looks like a very nice piece of American Walnut to work with, looking forward to getting started! This is #3 from Chambers for me and have not been anything but thrilled from what I have received.

View attachment 94747View attachment 94749
That looks very nice. I'm building a Chambers PA Fowler. I hope you'll post pics as you build yours.

dave_person

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Buckskinn,
Good for you. I urge you to read these threads before starting:

And then look at these as you build it. There is a lot of information here.

dave

dave_person

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,
I am going to upgrade those threads soon. I have 3 original fowlers to add including a fine Mortimer that I am helping restore, and more historical information.

dave

Buckskinn

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hi,
I am going to upgrade those threads soon. I have 3 original fowlers to add including a fine Mortimer that I am helping restore, and more historical information.

dave
One thing I was going to ask and who better to ask than you... I just noticed that the Chambers kits come as pinned and not keyed, nor do they come with a hooked breech. It looks pretty straightforward to switch to band instead of pins if I go that route, but is it feasible to switch to a hooked breech?

dave_person

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Buckskinn,
I don't think it would be hard to do. Barrel keys are really meant to work with a hooked breech (standing breech). The idea was to make barrel removal for cleaning easy. There are some original American long rifles with keys and standing breeches and some that used the key without standing breeches. On British guns you will rarely if ever find any with keys but without a standing breech. The only exception that comes to my mind is the pattern 1776 Ferguson rifle. It was a sign of quality for British guns by the mid-18th century. By then only trade, military, and livery guns had pinned barrels. It requires some careful work as I describe in my tutorials but is not really hard to do. One trick is to glue or solder the fitted breech to the barrel and inlet it like you would a simple tang. Also, don't buy a hook, cut the tang off the fitted breech plug and file the bolster into a hook. It really is not hard to do. The only thing you may have to check is the location of the rear lock bolt and if it will clear the standing breech. I believe Chambers pre-inlets the side plate so you may have difficulty moving the bolt locations if needed.

dave

Latest posts